Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Hi guys, i've tried searching but not come up with anything....

So, i was wondering if anyone has any experience of these chips on ebay and if they're any good;

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-chip-E36-3...item3a5998b8ad

It's a copy of a chip that was "made on dyno as the car produced 218BHP and 306NM with standart serial camshafts. This car had also catalyic converter removed." I know this map is for this vehicle and engines will differ from one another, but do you think good gains could be seen from it?

I'm also not sure if it would be a problem using this chip on mine as it's an auto? The auto box has an ecu of it's own so i didn't think it would be.

Any experience/input would be great. I do have other plans for my engine such an m50 inlet manifold conversion, but thought a chip may be a good starting point. I currently have a longlife exhaust btw

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    chopperharris77's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    528 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    In my opinion this looks a bit sketchy. There's no mention of specific power gains in terms of an actual bhp figure. Its also alot of messing about to do just to get it fitted to the car, and what if it makes no difference or worse still makes it worse, do you think the guy will take it back with bits of solder all over it ??? (I think not ). Im not the biggest fan of chipping non turbo cars as ones i've had done and others i've been in just dont seem to give a noticable difference. Others may tell you there the best thing since sliced bread, but there not for me. The auto box would'nt make a difference it could be chipped either way, so its down to you with the chip. The other mod however (m50 manifold), from what i've read, is a well worth investment, sadly i cant do it on mine, because it has the twin vanos system, but if you have the single unit, you should be able to feel a good increase in power :-) all the best with your decisions, Mike.
    Live the Dream

4. remap/chipping 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    furry0786's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    hi mate,
    I have done maniold & throttle body upgrade and defo worth it as it makes a huge difference!!.Speak to Alpina527 he's your man.
    Also speak to Simon at Emaps as he can most likely remap your ecu instead of tring to fit a new chip in ecu.Top bloke and highly recommended by other forum members.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    tezray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Thanks for your input guys. I know what you mean about chipping NA engine's, you certainly see far fewer gains that a turbo'd engine would.

With the M50 manifold and fitting kit (i've seen a couple of these kits floating around - it just saves time of gathering all the bits yourself i suppose) how easy is the manifold to fit? I imagine it's fairly easy and I have done a fair bit of engine work myself.
    Can i expect just as smooth an engine? Is low down torque noticeably lost with the M50 mod? I quite like the effortless power that it has at the moment if you know what I mean….having owned several high-revving jap cars I've had enough of screaming the bo**ocks off the engine to bring it to life!! Maybe that's just an age thing

Authorised Bimmerforums UK Vendor
    Car Details
    Emaps's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    ST 2.2TDCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Hatch

Thanks
    This chip would be a nightmare to fit.....surface mounted soldered 44 pins. Much easier to remap.

As for gains on a naturally aspirated engine, you might be surprised.

I had a 130i E87 on an independent dyno the other week. Ran the car stock then applied the software and ran it again. These engines are 260bhp stock. Result below:

As you can see the remap made power from 2000rpm all the way to the redline with a total gains of 20bhp and 24nm of torque

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    tezray's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    That's bloody impressive bhp from a 3.0 na

I think i'm going to go down the M50 manifold route. You can't really argue with £150 for approx. 20 bhp

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    kidgjc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I bought one of these chips from ebay a few weeks back as it happens. I then decided it wasn't for me and gave it to my cousin to see if he wanted it on his 328i, he's fitted it himself, reckons its a bit fiddly but seems a bit quicker to me. Maybe just a placebo effect but I guess the proof is in the pudding?