328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hey guys.

Im looking to order some hottuning coil overs today, Just wondering what spacers people recommend? Iv got 18/8J on the front with 225/40 tires on them and 18/9J on the rear with 255/35 tires.

I would hate to spend ages putting the coilys on just to find that i need spacers before i can put my wheels back on!

To-do list:
    1JZ-GTE conversion, Z3 rack, poly bush, Respray.

Done list:
    Short shifter, M50 manifold, Headlights, Induction kit, Front+Rear strut braces, Carbon badges, M3 diffuser, Illuminated gear knob, Body work (Rust ETC), Smoked LED Rears. Trims painted black, 18 button OBC, Dash rings, Adjustable rear camber arms, EBC brakes, New rims, M3 mirrors, Adjustable top mounts, Coil overs, ICE, Exhaust, LSD.
    See my project thread

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    powerofm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    I would find out if you do need spacers as some coilovers don't require them. I had HSD coilvoers and didn't need spacers.

The front arches on the E36 are very accomodating so you should be ok with 12mm spacer each side but just in case I would check what offset your wheels are, if they are a low offset up front you may get away with not needing them.

Whichever spacer you go for just make sure that its hubcentric (has a lip on it) and if you want to go for a 10mm one make sure it's a steel spacer as the aluminium or lightweight type 10mm ones are known for cracking and breaking from the lip, something to do with a chamfer on the actual spacer and it not having enough space on the hub of the car, can't remember exactly what it was. Eibach 10mm ones were notorious for cracking, even eibach have recognised this and don't recommend them for the
    E36/46. Minimum lightweight ones would be 12mm each side, oh and remember the longer bolts, just take a bolt out and measure it and then get bolts accordingly, ie. add 12mm or 15mm to the length of OEM bolt.

hth

Kash

Platinum BFuk Member
    Car Details
    gringog60's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i, M3 3.0, 328i Sport, M3 Evo 3.2
    Year of Manufacture:
    1996, 1996, 1996, 1998
    Transmission Type:
    manual, manual, manual, SMG
    Car Body Type:
    cabriolet, coupe, coupe, convertible
    Thanks
    I would think twice about putting on Hot Tuning coilovers, forum vendors or not.

They really are terrible and I wouldn't fit anything that costs £12 to manufacture per unit. Why not go for some eibach springs or is it super lowness that you are trying to aquire?

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Mine are fine, only slightly harsher than the -40mm springs and shocks. Different strokes for different folks I suppose. I needed a 3 mm spacer to get mine on with 7.5x17 with 215/45 tyres when they were first fitted. There's loads of space at the front, I run 28mm (!) spacers on 205/40's now with no arch mods.

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    powerofm's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    M3 Evo
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by gringog60 View Post
    I would think twice about putting on Hot Tuning coilovers, forum vendors or not.

They really are terrible and I wouldn't fit anything that costs £12 to manufacture per unit. Why not go for some eibach springs or is it super lowness that you are trying to aquire?

I would agree with this in principle. It all depends on how hard you drive your car. I've learnt my lesson with coilovers. if I ever get another set it will be from a recognised company that has R&D behind their designs. I wouldn't say its all about price (although the crappy stuff is cheap due to inferior materials and no R&D) because you get companies like KW that make AP, Weitec etc (which are cheap, around £500 bracket) and because these companies also make good coilvoers like KW varient series they have done the R&D (because they have the money) and their dampers will have a damper curve and enough travel for bumpy surfaces etc...

If i ever get coilovers again it will be from companies like Bilstein, Eibach, KW due to their reputation and quality, you know the threads won't go rusty and lock up, or the dampers won't blow in under a year.

Don't want to put you mate (apologies if i am) but it's what i have learnt from my experiences. Like another member said, different strokes....... you may like them once fitted but bottom line is somewhere down the line they will let you know they are a budget coilover.

hth

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to powerofm For This Useful Post:

Disco Stu (06-05-2011),steve23002 (06-05-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    swaynie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    air
    Year of Manufacture:
    :(
    Transmission Type:
    unhappy
    Car Body Type:
    no car
    Thanks
    ive had mine on now since last oct/nov and there fine and i live in the middle of no were and pot hole heaven but they seem to soak the bumps up very nicely and in my personal opinion I found in the past eibach to be very harsh on my old car so changed them out for spax rsx which were much nicer Hottuning coilys are just fine

Jack of all trades, master of them all

GRP/Carbon fabricator
    iso 5817/asme9 Welder
    joiner/carpenter
    And level 2 customer service
    It would be spiteful to put a jelly fish in a trifle

10. The Following User Says Thank You to swaynie For This Useful Post:

Disco Stu (06-05-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    I don't drive like a nobba, sensible 95 percent of the time. IMO they're fine for the other 5 percent when I have a spirited drive (private runway/land blah blah)

the hottuning ones of Edwin on here are actually tuning art jobbies. They have a 3 year warranty iirc and some people have had problems with them but have had anything faulty replaced within that period. Try getting that kind of service off eBay!

3 years for £195? I'm happy with that!

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Disco Stu For This Useful Post:

swaynie (06-05-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    swaynie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    air
    Year of Manufacture:
    :(
    Transmission Type:
    unhappy
    Car Body Type:
    no car
    Thanks
    cant say better than that and mine are still going strong its just the rest of the car thats failing

Jack of all trades, master of them all

GRP/Carbon fabricator
    iso 5817/asme9 Welder
    joiner/carpenter
    And level 2 customer service
    It would be spiteful to put a jelly fish in a trifle

14. The Following User Says Thank You to swaynie For This Useful Post:

Disco Stu (06-05-2011)

15. 1996 E36 328i - Coilover spacers 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    Daler69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Oh dear, seems like a 50/50 split! I'm not going for mad lowness but i dunno how low I want to or can afford to go that's why I want something adjustable. I don't drive hard very often now days, starting to care about my car too much lol. I use my bike for speed thrills but I do like a nice handling car for the rare occasions. I really dunno what to do about this one..

Thanks for all the input so far guys

To-do list:
    1JZ-GTE conversion, Z3 rack, poly bush, Respray.

Done list:
    Short shifter, M50 manifold, Headlights, Induction kit, Front+Rear strut braces, Carbon badges, M3 diffuser, Illuminated gear knob, Body work (Rust ETC), Smoked LED Rears. Trims painted black, 18 button OBC, Dash rings, Adjustable rear camber arms, EBC brakes, New rims, M3 mirrors, Adjustable top mounts, Coil overs, ICE, Exhaust, LSD.
    See my project thread

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    pangster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    F20 M135i LCI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Hatchback
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,227 Times in 885 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Daler69 View Post
    Hey guys.

Im looking to order some hottuning coil overs today, Just wondering what spacers people recommend? Iv got 18/8J on the front with 225/40 tires on them and 18/9J on the rear with 255/35 tires.

I would hate to spend ages putting the coilys on just to find that i need spacers before i can put my wheels back on!
    you need to know the offset of your wheels to work out where in relation they'll be - you can then compare it to other setups..

however - if I was you, I'd wait to get them fitted and adjusted to how you want them and then measure clearance and for from there...

FWIW I have FK Silverline Plus on my Z3 and have no complaints.. a very good setup for the road as they're c30% uprated dampers - so inline with what you get on the OEM sports package - so perfect for a daily driver and the odd track day. The threads/tubes are also stainless steel so won't rust unlike some of the other models. Whilst not the cheapest, they weren't stupidly expensive either.

* 2016 BMW M135i LCI (F20): current
    * 2016 Mercedes Benz GLA 200d AMG Line (X156): current

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast