BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 bmw M3 evo, POWER RUN

8K views 75 replies 16 participants last post by  mikim 
#1 ·
Hi, I've just booked my car in for a power run! See what BHP she's putting out!:eek:ptimist

I've not got any experience with rolling roads:shifty:. Anything i should be aware of, what should i be asking for?

Any advice would be much appreciated.:thumbsup

#3 ·
Being done by 'Pit Stop', @ Brize Norton. Heard anything about them? They were recommended by a friend. Cooling system is good as far as i know. temp gauge always sits dead centre. Is there a risk of over heating? Not keen on getting my car broken! is there much risk involved?

#4 ·
Those guys are pretty good from what i've heard. :thumbsup
They should run a massive fan in front of the engine when they are doing the power runs. The engine gets hot because its near on at full revs on a power run with no air flow over the rad.
You will be fine with pitstop Steve, let me know how you get on because i might take mine up there at some point. :cool

#6 ·
This should be very interesting as I have heard people mention that the Evo rarely hit's the 321bhp that it left the factor with:confused

2 things to check before going, first is the one steve23002 suggested (cooling system) the other is most definitely oil:thumbsup

I had my 318is coupe rolling road tested and with the induction kit, decat and Scorpion exhaust the noise what unbearable:hihi

I walked away disappointed as my car had lost nearly 7bhp despite the chip and other upgrades I had done:frown

Please keep us posted:thumbsup

#10 ·
I got to get mine in soon, had it booked in once but something came up so had to cancel. Get some video of them mate, and them e39 M5's are very tempting! Anyone local to Somerset with one fancy letting me have a little go in to see what they are like?

#14 · (Edited)
M3 Power run, RESULTS!

Well, took car down to get a power run done today. I can safely say I will never ever put myself or any car I own though that experience ever again! The NOISE was unbelievable! the heat coming from the car UNBELIEVEABLE! I think i'm still in shock. never again! Flat out at 7500 rpm again, again and again and AGAIN!:jaw-dropping
I was standing with my hands over my ears waiting for the bang. I was sure it was going to go BANG!:jaw-dropping:jaw-dropping:jaw-dropping THE NOISE!

Any how, I was not expecting the results that came in.......

246bhp @ wheels;)

329bhp @ flywheel:D

Anyone explain this!

The bloke doing it was well surprised, me too. These cars never make the claimed 321bhp. Whats with mine????!!

The noise!

View attachment 3387 View attachment 3388

#18 ·
Well, took car down to get a power run done today. I can safely say I will never ever put myself or any car I own though that experience ever again! The NOISE was unbelievable! the heat coming from the car UNBELIEVEABLE! I think i'm still in shock. never again! Flat out at 7500 rpm again, again and again and AGAIN!:jaw-dropping
I was standing with my hands over my ears waiting for the bang. I was sure it was going to go BANG!:jaw-dropping:jaw-dropping:jaw-dropping THE NOISE!

Any how, I was not expecting the results that came in.......

246bhp @ wheels;)

329bhp @ flywheel:D

Anyone explain this!

The bloke doing it was well surprised, me too. These cars never make the claimed 321bhp. Whats with mine????!!

The noise!

View attachment 3387 View attachment 3388
Excellent news mate:thumbsup

Perhaps it's had a remap at some point:confused

Excellent results though:cool

#16 ·
Bet your well chuffed! :hihi

Is the car completely standard?

#29 ·
So would this mean I'm looking @ 287 flywheel hp??

Before starting the power run they said that they'd expect a WHP of 235, but in there experience this wouldn't be achieved.

I was assuming power loses lost through drive train would be measured rather that calculated? surely to assume a standard loss of 17% is a little inaccurate? Although a loss of 33% does sound high?

#53 ·
As I understand it (and Im no expert) they dont just randomly add 15% for FWD, 20 for RWD or 25% for AWD. I think they calculate it at the end of the run by putting the car in neutral and letting the rollers wind down on their own for a bit and from that they measure how much drag there is through the hubs/dif/gearbox etc and in some arcane manner from that they can derive a %loss (for that particular car on that particular day on that particular run) which they then apply to the ACTUAL measured RWHP, this gives a APPROXIMATE FWHP figure which is obviously higher and makes people feel better about themselves and their cars.

P.S. Disclaimer - That might all be bollocks as Ive never dyno`d a car and am only repeating what I have read elsewhere(from memory) ;)

hth
Mark

#30 ·
Losses on RWD'd are meant to lose on average between 15-20%. 17% is commonly quoted for BMW's. 4WD's tend to be 25-30%. Over 30% would be high for a 4WD.

The calculation figures can be manipulated by dabbing the brakes, fiddling the intake or ambient temperature etc. Rolling roads are notoriously unreliable. That's why you are safer using the ATW figures.

Ian

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.