Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi i have been looking at induction kits for my E36 318is 1995 i have been looking at the bmc induction kit plus the pipercross viper kit there both about the same price witch one would give me the best gains or is there any other induction kits that would be better to get?
    i havent had my bmw long and looking at doin as much as i can to get the best out of it
    thank you for looking and hopefully here from some people soon
    david

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    You may get a slight increase with a induction kit, nothing great though. Any enclosed kit or something with a heatshield is your best bet. "gunner1" used to make heatshields, not sure if he still does them though. I've got a Ramair kit and one of his heatshields on my '92 iS. Never had the standard airbox so can't comment on comparison between the two, The shield and a cold air feed made a noticable difference though.

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    E36Meerkat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    OR get a K&N cone filter, strip your OEM air box and fit another cold air feed into the bottom section of the box, retro fit the filter (bit fiddely but possible....I did it ) to the lid of the air box. I fitted a 73mm (inner diameter) cold air feed pipe but am up grading it to a 83-100 mm pipe to get more flow.

Saves the cash on a filter and if you place heat proof padding on the inside...you get a full enclosed kit that no one will know until you blip the throttle as it gives a nice deep noise

Really what you want for really noticeable gains is a cat back exhaust, BBTB and cone filter. Cleans the rev range for flat spots so you get better pull off the line

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    david318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    thank you both for your replys :-)
    have you got any pics of the filter and box your using on your car so can get an idea on what to do lol cos im not the best person at doin things like that lol-)
    whats the best cat back system i should get then for good resaults?
    was looking at getting it chipped and tuned at some point in near future is it worth doin and if so do you no where to get it done?
    hopefully here from you soon david :-)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    E36Meerkat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Have a gander here at page 14 of my scrappage scheme survivor thread and down the page you can see how I did it and a few pages before you can see how I got it to fit into the front bumper

if you need any pics of the fitment for the actually filter to the lid, I'll see if I can get some this weekend for you but again a few pages back from 14 you can see the filter actually attached to the lid of the air box. I can most defiantly say that the extra cold air feed is needed other wise you don't feel much change at all

Yours is an M42 block right? Speak to a member here called "TheEnd" ... a fountain of knowledge when it comes to the E36 range

As for an exhaust I am using a custom center section (from the cat to the back box, the section that holds the 2nd silencer, on a standard exhaust this all links up as one from the cat back to the back box) and a esienmann back box (but that is expensive!!!)

Have a look at Cybox exhausts on eybay. I had one on my old green iS (have a look at my other project thread, there is a picture and video of the difference between the cybox and standard exhaust, noise wise, I shall be doing the same when I get my esienmann set up all working) and I found it to be ace for the price I paid for it!
    Bare in mind though, the tail pips are 83mm (inner diameter) and not to some folks taste.

right essay done... any other questions

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    david318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    thats a big help thank you :-) if you could get some more pics for me that would be great thank you, i'll have a look on ebay for exhaust i want as much gain all round as i can lol i think mine is the m42 engine not to sure only had the car a week i no it a 1.8 how would i find out what engine it is?you can tell im new to this game lol

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    MONSTER's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 328i se
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995 (N)
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Images
    Thanks
    IIRC... The air box for the M42 has a direct air feed to it away from the same side as the airbox itself, not like the M44 where it goes above the rad and to come in the other end!

I am under going a home made induction kit!

One of Gunner1's (Bill) H/S (HeatShield) and a Green Cotton Air Filter, with Stainless Steel pipes leading it futher away from the engine (Heat) and two pipes too keep it nice and cold!... Also extra Heatshielding on the H/S

Will be done soonish I hope (Next Month)

But if your looking for better power go with BBTB's! (Big Bore Throttle Body's) and a K&N drop in panel filter!

E36 328i se - Journal
    Modifications Done
    Storm Motorwerks V2 Titanium Shifter & V1 Handbrake
    Z3M Short Shifter
    E36 M-Tech Evo Steering Wheel Tri-Stitching
    E36 M-Tech Bumpers
    E36 M3 GTII Splitters
    E36 M3 Mouldings
    E34 Style 21's Throwing Stars
    Retro Fitted Auto-Dim Mirror
    Alpine CDE-113BT
    K&N RU-2590 Custom Intake
    Angel Eyes & HIDs
    Goodridge Brakehose

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MONSTER For This Useful Post:

david318is (15-03-2011)

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    E36Meerkat's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318iS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Yeah yours would be an M42, I couldn't remember what year they changed over to the M44 block so make sure when getting a cone filter that you get the right one

I'll get some pics for this weekend and get them up here for you.. however.. I am well known for forgetting so don't feel bad by continually reminding me

With the cybox system you get the whole "sha-bang" from the cat-back and all fitments VERy good the price you pay!

Edit: Ah yes, I forgot about that direct Air feed, but what I am saying is that it can be made out of the original air box with extra feeds going into it, saves a few pennies... if your that way inclined. Also looks neater IMO

But the H.S from gunner is also good, I had one in my green iS and worked a treat. But this time round I tried something different... and it worked (call it luck or skill...but it worked... I call it skill )

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to E36Meerkat For This Useful Post:

d1975 (01-07-2013),david318is (15-03-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Disco Stu's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E36 318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,386 Times in 1,113 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by E36Meerkat View Post
    however.. I am well known for forgetting so don't feel bad by continually reminding me
    Haha! Very true...

I have a Cybox cat back on my car, it's a good quality s/s system for £185 (cheap!). I noticed no decrease in power compared to the Scorpion I had before (The Scorpion sounded more fruity though, cybox is just as loud just doesn't sound as goooood)
    Last edited by Disco Stu; 15-03-2011 at 00:11. Reason: can't spell!

Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    kevinbmw318is's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe
    Thanks
    ive been using my normal air box with a k&n pannel and a cold airfeed also took all the crap from the box and done small small holes for some sound.

works great.

then i tryed my old big pipercross induction kit sounds good but omg it used more fuel and was alot flatter and slower, so its of again. was gettinhg alot of heat soke i think
    stanced vert OEM BABY! when verts go mad

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast