1995 e36 2.5tds.........classic car replacing a 4.2 petrol automatic! which bigger intercooler ?

Notices

Thread: 1995 e36 2.5tds.........classic car replacing a 4.2 petrol automatic! which bigger intercooler ?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 1995 e36 2.5tds.........classic car replacing a 4.2 petrol automatic! which bigger intercooler ? 
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    neilmathews's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    Have put my remapped 2.5tds e36 into an old classic car that had crippling fuel costs- and now can afford to drive it again !

Completely BMW standard engine bay installation and layout. everything BMW re used.

The ecu was re mapped by a previous owner. For the year, great torque above 2K revs (well flat below that), but from reading these forums it appears I could/ should install a bigger intercooler to improve efficiency ?

I have LOTS of room, and good access, is there an obvious choice of a bigger intercooler with similar plumbing layout ? ,

second query, is there any point in using a different free flow air filter (i.e. real gain) ??? Or is the standard filter pretty much OK?

(purpose of my classic car diesel, is economical long distance tourer- its a 2 seat convertible, doesnt weight too much, but would love occasionally to burn off a corsa driver !)

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

rm1
    Dr of BMW
    Car Details
    rm1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    what is it you are putting it into? and wouldn't lpg be a better option?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    job is done, TDS engine fitted and having gone the lpg road several times before, (3 litre nissan, an mr2, and an old landrover) found it a pain in the bum ! a large second tank big enough for 2/ 300 miles min between LPG refils is needed, so not a toroidal (spare wheel) tank- a huge cylinder is needed completely filling the boot, no room for spare wheel, great uncertainty when `not local` on where you can fill up with lpg, loss of power on lpg (have used injected and a vapouriser). a 4.2 auto petrol, 18mpg, to maybe 22mpg. On lpg loose 20% of that, so yes cheaper fuel on lpg, but not massivley. get better mpg out of the diesel without all the extra stuff, and still have an empty boot ! DIY LPG installation 5 or £600. Garage installation £1000+

No - on an informed basis, LPG is just not viable. I am happy with the MPG of the tds. Just looking at how to moderately improve the installation hence my query. Do you have knowledge/ experience of improving efficiency of a 2.5 TDS ? That is what I am hoping to learn !
    Last edited by neilmathews; 16-12-2012 at 16:53.

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    E36 TDS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 TDS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I have a chipped (End Tuning) TDS myself, though in it's more usual 3 series home and they're decent lumps when running right.
    I always thought that sticking a bigger intercooler on led to increased turbo lag, which if true would be the opposite of what you wanted to achieve.
    The stock filter is plenty good enough TBH and you'd have a hard time shielding any induction kit against the heat too.
    What sort of MPG are you getting just out of interest ?

Plenty you can do to these for increased power, but not many people are aiming for better economy

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    ummmmm. Hoping I am sharing a forum of informed diesel drivers and am not about to get buried by uniformed petrolheads...trying to pre empt - if you dont like it its nothing to do with you ! It s mine. Go build your own ! (and go original at 18mpg!)
    This is (nearly) it. Agonised for ages on what would fill the engine bay/ powerful but low tech, enough mpg, lotsa torque.jag front.jpg
    XK150 replica. yes plastic etc etc not real. But looks real. Didnt want a polished sunday/ short trips too expensive to use car. And didnt want rust. So this is it. possibly my 10th custom/ home built project. All jag bits, old red leather interior, 1956 dash , original chrome, galvanised chassis, plastic body, and 45 mpg is the target on long runs. Drove tds 3 and 5 series for years. No lambda sensor, very few engine sensors, can trick the ecu into working off a 1967 jag ignition key (took some brain juice though). And I can afford to go on wine trips to france, tour the uk, and if I have a problem, BMW plug in diagnostics still there ! transition to jag is the prop shaft i.e. bm engine and box, jag diff/ rolling gear. Ran it for a while on the 4.2 jag engine (auto) . 24mpg if down a hill ! put your foot down - 16-18 mpg. (and its tax exempt - dont ask).

soo bmw crazed, thanks for the response - maybe a bigger intercooler isnt worth it from what you suggest, and the air filter doesnt need upgrade. so maybe I leave `as is` ? I have fitted a small in linefacet pump on a switch, so no airlocks/ hot starting prolems. other than that, remapped to (I guess 180HP?) no other mods recommended to improve power AND mpg ????
    hope you like it !

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    E36 TDS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 TDS
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    Looks very nice, replica or not that's one very pretty shape.
    A chipped TDS lump goes plenty well enough when it's got to lug a 3 series around so your little lightweight 'XK' must put a smile on the face.
    Sounds like you've done your homework anyway as hot starting issues are rife with these engines, so you seem to have addressed that.
    Other than that, keep an eye on the leak-off pipes and the pump itself (they run very hot) for leaks and you should be fine for many miles.
    My previous TDS was on almost 240,000 miles when I sold it recently and that's nothing for an M51 if it's well looked after.
    The engines often outlast the rust prone bodywork, which helps ensure a constant stream of spare engines

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    You should be able to get a bit more power from fitting a bleed valve and boost gauge, and upping the boost a little and see what happens.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

Thanks
    thanks the end ! yep cautiously well happy. had 3 ignition keys at one piont - xj6 steering column lock key, 1956 wooden dash/ pushbutton starter key, and screwdriver to start the bm ignition ! mostly sorted.
    good at some stuff - novice at others....bleed valve ?? boosting ( i guess) turbo ?? how/ what ?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    TheEnd's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,990 Times in 2,440 Posts
    The turbo is purely mechanical, so you can get a bleed valve that will hold the wastegate closed longer and give more boost.

like so-
    Universal Turbo Bleed Valve Boost Controller | eBay

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    mikegartside's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d se
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    yeh i would say bleed valve is a good option iits cheap eay to fit and adjustable boost levels so u can run minimum boost for economy n turn it up for power jags a nice motor rep or not

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast