1994 E36 325tds - Wastegate/manual boost controller/screamer pipes help required pls

Notices

Thread: 1994 E36 325tds - Wastegate/manual boost controller/screamer pipes help required pls

Reply to Thread
  1. 1994 E36 325tds - Wastegate/manual boost controller/screamer pipes help required pls 
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    m43ell's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    right then, im installing a manual boost controller on my 325 tds, my question is, do i have to dump the excess pressure through the actuator and stock internal wastegate or can i vent it to atmoshpere (remove vac line from actuator)? is this what a screamer pipe does? take the excess boost from the turbo and dump it to atmosphere instead of the exhaust? i love the sounds of screamer pipes, so could i replicate it by just bypassing the wastegate all together, take the vac line of the wastegate and just have the pressure coming out of the end of the vac line? many thanks
    1993 E36 BMW 325 TDS with:

egr delete
    super chipped
    boost controller @1.5 5th gear bar boost
    De cat pipe
    straight through turbo back, no backbox
    hard pipe turbo to induction filter
    Pefrormance FMIC with custom mandrel IC piping
    Water / methanol injection (being setup)
    increased injector duration (being setup)
    13t turbo upgrade (being setup)
    Solid engine mounts, braced front and rear, coilovers, lots of smoke

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,412 Times in 1,223 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by m43ell View Post
    right then, im installing a manual boost controller on my 325 tds, my question is, do i have to dump the excess pressure through the actuator and stock internal wastegate or can i vent it to atmoshpere (remove vac line from actuator)? is this what a screamer pipe does? take the excess boost from the turbo and dump it to atmosphere instead of the exhaust? i love the sounds of screamer pipes, so could i replicate it by just bypassing the wastegate all together, take the vac line of the wastegate and just have the pressure coming out of the end of the vac line? many thanks
    Its a lovely thought, but the waste gate on a diesel usually just causes the exhaust gas to bypass the turbo impeller and go straight down the exhaust. This is because diesel don't have a throttle butterfly value in the inlet manifold.

Petrol engines on the other hand do have a butterfly value and so to prevent it getting damaged, excess inlet pressure is waste gate to the atmosphere making that wonderful sound

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

m43ell (20-07-2011)

BMW Master
    Car Details
    m43ell's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanks for that mate, i just heard the sound of a screamer pipe and fell in love with it, but, once the turbo has spooled up to its max, the gases bypass the impeller and exit through the wastegate into the exhaust thus not creating anymore boost, where does the extra forced air go that the turbo has produced after the turbo has reached max load? or does it circulate in the intake as there is no throttle body? im really confused now, as ive been told to fit a manual boost controller on the vac line between compressor and wastegate actuator like on a petrol, however, if im right, will this cause the wastegate to open later, let more exhaust gases spin the turbo creating more boost?
    1993 E36 BMW 325 TDS with:

egr delete
    super chipped
    boost controller @1.5 5th gear bar boost
    De cat pipe
    straight through turbo back, no backbox
    hard pipe turbo to induction filter
    Pefrormance FMIC with custom mandrel IC piping
    Water / methanol injection (being setup)
    increased injector duration (being setup)
    13t turbo upgrade (being setup)
    Solid engine mounts, braced front and rear, coilovers, lots of smoke

6. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by m43ell View Post
    Thanks for that mate, i just heard the sound of a screamer pipe and fell in love with it, but, once the turbo has spooled up to its max, the gases bypass the impeller and exit through the wastegate into the exhaust thus not creating anymore boost, where does the extra forced air go that the turbo has produced after the turbo has reached max load? or does it circulate in the intake as there is no throttle body? im really confused now, as ive been told to fit a manual boost controller on the vac line between compressor and wastegate actuator like on a petrol, however, if im right, will this cause the wastegate to open later, let more exhaust gases spin the turbo creating more boost?
    A diesel engine is controlled by the amount of diesel injected in the cylinders, less diesel makes less power, more makes more. In the old days this was controlled using mechanical pumps and cams. These days it is fancy ECU's which wastegate the exhaust gases when the MAP sensor (pressure sensor) detects excess boast... all very dull

8. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

m43ell (20-07-2011)

Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Makes me think of a good story, many years ago I had the opportunity to drive a 1938 Bentley 8 Litre, this thing was a monster but it had an interesting feature. It was the first car I ever drove with "sports mode".

As you can imagine in 1939 "sports mode" was not a little button or a trun of knob but a F*** off great lever that bypass the exhaust system at the exhaust manifold straight out. It had 8 1 litre cylinders and the noise was phenominal, never heard anything quite so impresive since.

For our Scottish members who are old enough, it was the Bentley that sat in the Doune Motor Museum

10. The Following User Says Thank You to matthew_henson For This Useful Post:

Xmak 330d (21-07-2011)

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    Xmak 330d's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330d e46
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,188 Times in 1,013 Posts
    Just happen to have some pics of a 325tds turbo and the wastgate showing how it works.

This it looking down from the flange that bolts to the manifold, with the wastegate just slightly open.