1992 E36 325i - M3 cams installation? - Page 2

Notices
 

Thread: 1992 E36 325i - M3 cams installation?

Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. s50 cams 
    #11
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    furry0786's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    hi mate,
    just fitted s50 cams to my 328 also single vanos by my mechanic and not myself.
    You'll need to lock up crank/flywheel.
    Line up the 2 square plates at the back of cams
    vanos will take car of timing if fitted correctly.
    There should be cam gears/spindles on the cams one on each when you refit the vanos both will need to lock into place as both are splined.If i remember right it was a 1/4 turn clockwise then anti clockwise.
    2 hand turns of the crank and if your square plates are still lined up job done.
    when my cams arrived only had 1 spindle, fitted fine but when we turned crank by hand the inlet cam was retarded as a result.
    Double check before you fit.
     
     

  2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements
     

  3.  
    #12
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    captain_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiney Row
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furry0786 View Post
    hi mate,
    just fitted s50 cams to my 328 also single vanos by my mechanic and not myself.
    You'll need to lock up crank/flywheel.
    Line up the 2 square plates at the back of cams
    vanos will take car of timing if fitted correctly.
    There should be cam gears/spindles on the cams one on each when you refit the vanos both will need to lock into place as both are splined.If i remember right it was a 1/4 turn clockwise then anti clockwise.
    2 hand turns of the crank and if your square plates are still lined up job done.
    when my cams arrived only had 1 spindle, fitted fine but when we turned crank by hand the inlet cam was retarded as a result.
    Double check before you fit.
    Thank you very much mate it sounds very simmilar to what it says in the haynes manual on fitment of stock cams. and Im getting the cams with gears
     
     

  4. cams 
    #13
    BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    furry0786's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    1997
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    33
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    no worries mate.
    enjoy once fitted. After around 4k rpm they are lovely!!
     
     

  5.  
    #14
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    captain_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiney Row
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by furry0786 View Post
    no worries mate.
    enjoy once fitted. After around 4k rpm they are lovely!!
    Cant wait
     
     

  6.  
    #15
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    captain_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiney Row
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Got the cams finally!
    Just wanted to double check with the numbers that are on them.
    Cam E: 1738 369
    Cam A: 171 8888m

    Any help?
     
     

  7.  
    #16
    BMW Master
    Car Details
    hamish262001's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328
    Year of Manufacture:
    1995
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    touring

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Dublin
    Posts
    454
    Thanks
    77
    Thanked 98 Times in 85 Posts
    dont think the numbers mean anything as they use the same billet to grind either s50 or m50 camshafts

    measue the lobes with vernier calipers and work out the lift (easy to do)

    inlet should be 10.3mm and exhaust 9.7mm
     
     

  8.  
    #17
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    captain_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiney Row
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hamish262001 View Post
    dont think the numbers mean anything as they use the same billet to grind either s50 or m50 camshafts

    measue the lobes with vernier calipers and work out the lift (easy to do)

    inlet should be 10.3mm and exhaust 9.7mm
    will have a look tonight after work. cheers mate
     
     

  9.  
    #18
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    captain_chaos's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    1992
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    captain_chaos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Shiney Row
    Posts
    194
    Thanks
    47
    Thanked 7 Times in 7 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alpina527 View Post
    Get him to measure the lobe height. It should be 47.7mm. Stock 325 cams are 47mm and have the same part number cast into them as the S50 cams
    actually just decided to do it now. and the lobes are 47.7 - 47.8 mm. my verniers and that accurate and got no micrometer, one thing that shudve been left in the overalls wen i went to college haha
     
     

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Tags for this Thread

View Tag Cloud

Posting Permissions
  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts