BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1990 E46 manifold info needed

2K views 16 replies 2 participants last post by  Bimmerquinn 
#1 ·
Hi all i was just wondering what manifold to get for my car (E46 1999 323i) i just need to know what manifold what car i can get it from also does it just bolt straight back on n plug straight back in is a remap needed please n e info would be great :)

#4 ·
#10 ·
You should just be able to bolt it on by itself and not need to make any changes.
I'd do a quick bit of research first though, make sure a 330i manifold is the correct compatible one for an E46 323i, it should be, but I can't remember the exact differences, and which car had which manifold, but I have a feeling it was 330i would be fine for 323 and 328i E46s.
You should get circa 10-15bhp just by bolting it on.

#12 ·
#14 ·
Have a check and see what you've got.
The E36 320 and 323 had a single large pipe, and the 325 and 328 had double pipe systems.

The M3 was a step beyond, with fancy exhaust manifolds that were specifically tuned. I'm not sure if there is an easy option for the M52TU, but even the E36 stuff is pretty expensive.

Don't be tempted by any ebay manifolds, they were made by shaking a bathtub full of pipe bends until a few stuck together. They certainly won't give the +20 bhp they claim, usually nothing, or even a chance of some power lost.

#16 ·
It could do.
The 323 as you know is a cut back 325.
When they did a model change, BMW took off the restrictions and turned everything back up to normal power.
If the M54 325 has twin pipes, then it could be an idea to change the exhaust too.
Breakers for used parts would be best as it'll probably need a cat section.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.