Model of Car:
    118D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi all, I'm a newbie here and just looking for suggestions on how to get my 118d, 143hp, up to or over 200hp. ECU re-map is a given, same with air filter, but what else?

All suggestions welcome, Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    Remap should give around 180bhp, to gain on that I'd imagine it would start to become rather expensive though..

Sorry to be stupid mate but if you wanted over 200BHP why did you get a 118d over the 120d or 123d????
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Robharv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    118D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by baderlfc View Post
    Remap should give around 180bhp, to gain on that I'd imagine it would start to become rather expensive though..

Sorry to be stupid mate but if you wanted over 200BHP why did you get a 118d over the 120d or 123d????
    circumstances changed, was doing +800 miles every month n wanted whatever fuel economy I could get. What can I say, im Scottish so always counting the pennies. Hence why I want the power now without shelling out for another car

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    baderlfc's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325ti Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    hatchback
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Robharv View Post
    What can I say, im Scottish so always counting the pennies.
    to that comment!!!!

I'd say go for remap and stick there mate, that's the best bang for buck mod you can do on any turbo diesel.. from there your shelling out big money for little gain!
    E46 325ti Sport
    Lowered 50/40 on Weitec springs
    18" staggered BBS RS-GTs

Pioneer MVH-8200
    Focal Polyglass 5.25" 130VB components
    Alpine MRP-M650 Monoblock with Alpine Type R 10"

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    All three engines are the same capacity, the 123d is twin turbo version.

You would need to check the turbo set up is the same but the 118d should simply be a de-tuned vesion of the standard 120d engine and so a re-map should give you the 200bhp you desire.

A de-cat is another cheapish mod (+10hp) but be careful, MOT testers will be on the look out for them next year, BMW's have pretty decent air filter anyway and as it is turbo charged a low resistance air filter is not going to make much difference, because power is linked to how much cool air the turbo to shove in the engine and not how hard it is to suck air through the air filter

Rog
    BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    Rog's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    530i Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by matthew_henson View Post
    BMW's have pretty decent air filter anyway and as it is turbo charged a low resistance air filter is not going to make much difference, because power is linked to how much cool air the turbo to shove in the engine and not how hard it is to suck air through the air filter
    Back in my VAG days I did some MAF flow readings on various filters, cone & panel (just what me & a few mates had, all fitted to 1 car for test though), and we found that cone filters do give better MAF readings, but higher inlet temp readings (negating improved MAF flow), and also a VAG airbox could be tweaked (mainly with different inlet pipework) to flow as well as a cone filter. Finally, a new paper element filter flows as well as a Green Cotton or K&N Cotton panel filter... old paper not as well, understandably.

In other words, look at the air scoop & feed to your stock air box and see if any improvement can be made there, then weigh up the cost & difficulties of doing so. For instance, on my 330d I can see scope for improvement, but to do so is an awful lot of fabricated parts!
    2003 E39 530i Sport Touring Auto.
    Goes OK, comfy enough...
    Black Paint | Black Leather | Cruise | Auto Wipers | Auto Headlights | Arm rest | Cup Holders

Some people say I'm stark raving bonkers... The others just smile and nod

Sometimes I think I understand everything... Then I regain consciousness!

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Rog For This Useful Post:

cforehead (24-08-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Robharv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    118D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Cheers for the advice guys! Cars due a service next month so will look at re-mapping after that, then take it from there.

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    cforehead's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    335d M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Auto
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rog View Post
    Back in my VAG days I did some MAF flow readings on various filters, cone & panel (just what me & a few mates had, all fitted to 1 car for test though), and we found that cone filters do give better MAF readings, but higher inlet temp readings (negating improved MAF flow), and also a VAG airbox could be tweaked (mainly with different inlet pipework) to flow as well as a cone filter. Finally, a new paper element filter flows as well as a Green Cotton or K&N Cotton panel filter... old paper not as well, understandably.

In other words, look at the air scoop & feed to your stock air box and see if any improvement can be made there, then weigh up the cost & difficulties of doing so. For instance, on my 330d I can see scope for improvement, but to do so is an awful lot of fabricated parts!
    Great post (and I removed the snorkel from my Mk2 airbox rather than piss around with an induction kit etc! Made just as nice a noise...)

You've really supported my theory that in most cases, car manufacturers actually know what they're doing! The fact is that while car fans associate more power with going faster, the manufacturer also equates it to better fuel economy (i.e. they can use less fuel to get the same performance). Don't people think that, noise aside, if you could squeeze another 10bhp out of an engine by strapping a hot air sucking induction kit to a 318 they'd have done it already???!

I'm not saying there's no place for these things but they generally require lots of extra work that makes them impractical (in the case of an induction kit a good air feed and shielding from engine heat).

2008 335d M Sport Coupe

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Robharv's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    118D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cforehead View Post
    Great post (and I removed the snorkel from my Mk2 airbox rather than piss around with an induction kit etc! Made just as nice a noise...)

You've really supported my theory that in most cases, car manufacturers actually know what they're doing! The fact is that while car fans associate more power with going faster, the manufacturer also equates it to better fuel economy (i.e. they can use less fuel to get the same performance). Don't people think that, noise aside, if you could squeeze another 10bhp out of an engine by strapping a hot air sucking induction kit to a 318 they'd have done it already???!

I'm not saying there's no place for these things but they generally require lots of extra work that makes them impractical (in the case of an induction kit a good air feed and shielding from engine heat).

Ok, just to play devils advocate on that point as I do get where you're coming from with the filter and the manufacturer would have put an up-rated one in already if it gave better MPG... you could argue that the manufacturer should have already mapped the ECU to the best performance for the car? However if an re-map will give extra MPG in addition to the power benefits, then why did they not do that in the 1st place? Hope that makes sence

Premium Member
    Car Details
    matthew_henson's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E61 525d Touring
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring/Estate
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,411 Times in 1,222 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Robharv View Post
    Ok, just to play devils advocate on that point as I do get where you're coming from with the filter and the manufacturer would have put an up-rated one in already if it gave better MPG... you could argue that the manufacturer should have already mapped the ECU to the best performance for the car? However if an re-map will give extra MPG in addition to the power benefits, then why did they not do that in the 1st place? Hope that makes sence
    The 118d is mapped for MPG so that it fits in a low tax band for company car buyer but that comes as a cost to power. The 120d is the same engine mapped for power but bumps it up two tax bands making more expensive to own both as a private and company buyer. Finally if you map for maximum peak power you get poor charactoristics like power bands and dead spots, it is a balance between a nice linear power/torque curve and economy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast