BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 BMW 318IS M Sport Coupe - Slow Progress Thread

6K views 48 replies 14 participants last post by  RBIMMERSRS 
#1 ·
Hello,

My names Rich, I'm 20 years old and living in East Sussex. I've had quite a few cars in the past but never had a BMW, and I must say, in my opinion it drives, feels and looks better than some of these so called better, newer cars. I love it, I think I'm set for BMs my life now hehe.

I bought my very first BMW on the 20th of June. 6 hour all round trip to get it. I've been reading Prince's progress thread and think it's amazing the work he has done, hopefully he has not copyrighted any of his ideas as I have grown to some of the things he has done on his :p.

The bodywork is, as far as I'm concerned, in brilliant condition for the age, has a few very small pinhole dents in the driver's door, needs a bit of touch up on the front bumper and rear bumper, literally about 2/3 inches worth. Spent about 4 hours in total cleaning her.

Interior is lovely, very clean and tidy and everything works (almost), though may be going for the Prince's carbon fibre look hehe.

Mechanically it's a bit lumpy on tick over but drives fine, so I'll need to sort that out.

This thread may be a bit slow as I own my own business which is a campsite, normally earns well but the English weather is.... :mad so funds are a bit tight at the moment :).

Any comments or tips feel free to post.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Alloy wheel
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw 3 series (e36) Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Personal luxury car Sedan
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Coupé
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Personal luxury car

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice looking motor that, I've never actually owned an E36 myself, but my mum and dad had a 323i Sport coupe in Burgundy and ever since, I've had a real soft spot for the E36 coupes. Will look forward to your updates.

#8 ·
Didn't have much to do and my Carbon Fibre wrap arrived so... I gave it a go on something small (please note this is my very first attempt at wrapping anything):

Car Vehicle Vehicle door Automotive exterior

Didn't it was too bad so next step was to have a go at wrapping the surround around the gearknob and pockets, managed to get it off:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Steering wheel Center console

Then.... found out I was about half an inch too small on the width wise of the wrap :shifty:

So instead I thought I'd have a go at the glovebox:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Auto part Center console

And this is the end result (by the way the small handbag at the bottom isn't mind ;)):

Vehicle Car Vehicle door Compact car Family car

Thought it looked quite good, only problem was I struggled with doing the corners, hey ho though I'll pay someone to do it professionally when I get some more dosh:

Tire Carbon Automotive tire Automotive exterior Auto part

Tomorrow getting windows tinted so I'll be posting pics of my tints, may try and do some other stuff if I have the time.

#12 ·
Looks like you bagged yourself a nice car there, especially for the age of it.

Usually I'm not a huge fan of carbon wrap either as the tendency to wrap absolutely everything in sight tends to get the better of most. I think it looks good in moderation and is certainly a good way of hiding a bunch of scuffed trim (which was my reason for wrapping mine :D)

#14 ·
Fair enough. I agree with the wrap, though wont be wrapping much more as it was hard work lol. Out of all the cars I've had this BM is certainly the best. Going to try to clean out the idle control valve over the weekend. Shall let you all know how I get on.

#17 ·
Been reading this guide to do it: Idle Control Valve Write up; ICV clean DIY - Bimmerforums - The Ultimate BMW Forum

I'm assuming an M44 engine would be the same to do as the M42 as described in this guide?

Another silly question, it says stuff like you can change the gasket, hoses etc.. Where would you get mechanical parts such as these from? I usually get my parts from Ajays but seeing as this is my personal favourite I don't want crap Chinese stuff. Would ajays do? What about euro car parts? Also looking to get some spark plugs soon.

#19 ·
Yeah I'm pretty sure the ICV is in the same place on both engines. That's the guide I originally used iirc. You don't need to replace the gasket between the upper and lower intake manifold as it's metal. You can, but it isn't essential and I didn't do it when I cleaned my ICV.

Gaskets and hoses buy from BMW. They're not that expensive and if you order from Hereford BMW (see the vendor section) you get 10% discount (my local usually gives me 8% discount due to the age of the car).

I get my oil and spark plugs from Opie Oils. Great service and great prices. I use NGK Iridium IX (BKR7EIX) spark plugs (and before you ask Gulf Competition 5w40 Fully Synthetic oil).

I wouldn't bother with them dude. Get some proper seats, not eBay junk.

#21 ·
Nice looking car mate :thumbsup
Similar looking to mine, even the rims :D and probably that was me posting in Prince's thread about vinyl wrapping ;)
Vinyl wrapping is really good I think, because i can do it by myself so it gets really cheap. Of course real carbon fibre is way better, but everything depends on your budget.

#22 ·
Nice clean coupe you have there mate, I also wrapped the small piece above the glovebox in carbon vinyl although it didn't stay for long as for 1. I ended up not liking it and for 2. I ditched my glovebox :D and I would also be going with previous comments made about the seats, best off saving up for a decent set and also a set from a company where they spend money on R&D aspects etc. My moto is buy cheap, buy twice!!

Some used good condition seats if money is low :) Long may she last and hope you enjoy it as thats the main thing! :thumbsup

#27 ·
Wellllll I did it! With the help of my dad. Some may disapprove but I think it looks gorgus! :p. I preped it all and my dad sprayed them as he's a retired mechanic and has experience in spray painting cars etc.:

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Bmw Alloy wheel

Also noticed the amount of mud and dirt on the rear wheel arch so took it to the car wash and it looks almost new, the carwash doesn't anymore though hehe.
The front wheels seem like they've never been off, they bolts were almost welded in there, got them off then greased them up.

Comments please????

#30 ·
Just realised maybe a Nitrous kit would work for more power? A Supercharger is a lot of money from what I found out but a Nitrous Kit is around $600, then x amount to refill them. Tbh I'll only be using it on track days, overtaking, or just general idiocy (Joke!!!) :p

Link for Nitrous: http://www.andysautosport.com/bmw/1...xide/nitrous_oxide_kits/nos/nosp00087968.html

Hmmm scrub that, just looked on MoneySuperMarket for 21 years old with Nitrous and no one will insure me haha.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.