BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 M3 Evo - 18/03/2012

101K views 715 replies 91 participants last post by  powerofm 
#1 ·
Got my new car today...:hyper

After 2 weeks of searching I found a 1996 E36 M3 Evo that wet my whistle. Full service history, private plate, estoril blue, 4 doors and black nappa leather. Drove it home and fookin loved it, it goes like a scalded cat and sounds awsome. It came with the Dave-F, Eibach pro springs, Gt corner splitters and a braided clutch hose fitted.
No real plans at the moment as the body and interior are very tidy. It needs a pair of front dics and pads, and a new bumper grille. I will detail the engine bay at some point and just enjoy using it....:thumbsup

Here are some pics, it needs a wash as it was raining and salty on the M40 on the journey home...:frown

Also very rare Nappa leather, which is so soft compared to the normal leather. A bonus was the very tasty Alpine headunit...:cool

And have you ever seen a more door with split folding rear seats....:eek

And here is the business end...:cool

And the first mod was to add the obligatry forum stickers.

So far so good with it, i have done 200 miles in it today and smiled most of them, until I filled up with petrol...:hihi
The engine pulls strong and the gearbox and clutch are very sweet. So far I keep changing gear too early because I keep forgetting how high it revs. 1st impressions, I love it and dont know why I didnt get one years ago...:D

Ta for reading....:)

See less See more
#77 ·
8 Pages already!!!!

Damn feels like I am the last to know :hihi I love it! Cant wait to see more!!!

Subscribe has just been HIT!

From all the past projects you have done steve I cant wait to see this one take place! Nice to know that this M3 has got the best home it could get!!!

I'll be in line to buy it off of you!!! *Dreams*:cloud9

:thumbsup

Reactions: steve23002
#80 ·
Steves 325 project was one of those that you could just read from top to bottom. Fcukin awesome!!:cool

Sure this one will be the same...:thumbsup

#81 ·
Yeah, they are the Eibach Pros. TBH I have them on my 318is, and had a set on the 325 and they were not that bad at all, firm but not harsh. On this they just seem really harsh. I know the Evo has shortened and uprated shocks so I think they are at the end of there travel because of the drop. They are fine on the motorway, but on rough country roads they are awful and throw you around everywhere. :frown

But like I said, on other cars they have been fine and much better than the cheap crap coilovers or cheap crap springs...:thumbsup

#98 ·
Stayed late at work tonight to address a couple of issues....:hihi

Replaced the O/S/R upper arm ball joint as this was proper fooked.

Out with the old

In with the new

Also replaced the rear shock top mounts, they had just started to split which I noticed when I was looking at the balljoint. New lemforder ones arrived from ECP within an hour...:eek

Also waiting for an uprated Vanos seals and bolts set from Mr vanos http://www.mrvanos.com/. Also orderd 7 litres of oil for when I do the seals, I will do that at the same time. Not used to paying so much for oil, but I have stuck with this stuff which seems to be the best oil for these http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-1146-si...nthetic-oil-for-high-performance-engines.aspx.

Now just got to find time to fit the RTAB's and front discs and pads....:hihi

#100 ·
Busy today again...:hihi

All of the parts arrived this week so had the afternoon to get on.
1st job was to replace the Vanos Bolts and fit the uprated seals. This is a common mod as the bolts can snap off causing rapid oil pressure loss..:eek
Wasnt happy until they were done. :hihi

It wasnt a bad job to do but a bit nerve racking replacing the solonoid seals as the wiring to the solonoids are very delicate and very expensive to replace. This job doesnt stop the infamous vanos rattle, but prolongs the life. Also changed the oil after I had replaced the seals.

Intake solonoids.

Exhaust solonoids.

All the bolts and seals done, just refitting the oil pressure regulating piston.

It was a bit nerve racking starting it up after, it ran rough for a few seconds after as was expected then settled down to a nice smooth idle and revved sweet....

Next job was the spark plug change. That was fine until one of the 5mm allen head screws holding the cover on rounded out. Had to drill the head off and replace the bolt.

Next job was to replace the front discs and pads.

And tomorrow I have all these parts to fit...:hihi

Ta for reading :)

#106 ·
#103 ·
It's a method I've stood by...even after I was walking up to the car after fueling and noticed something dangling down from the right strut...turned out to be a bungee I'd forgotten about :sarcastic

#115 ·
Nice to see your getting jobs done Steve. I know you wont be a happy chappy until everythings is 100%. Still waiting for you to take me in a run in her ;)

#116 ·
Started at 8 this morning to carry on where I left yesterday. Carried on working my way from the front to the back, wishbone bushes, fuel filter and bled the front brakes. Didnt take many pics today as I just wanted to get on with the jobs.

Fitted the OE BMW front wishbone bushes.

Once i had finished at the front I moved to the back and started with the rear trailing arm bushes. They didnt need doing but the last owner gave me a brand new pair of Powerflex bushes, so while it was on the ramp I fitted them.

I fitted a new O/S/R upper ball joint last week, but the lower one had play and the lower N/S/R one had play, so I replaced all 4 in the end. I was also not happy with the rear shocks as the O/S/R had a slight weep. So I fitted a brand new pair of OE Boge shocks.

I also cleaned the rear brakes and adjusted the handbrake. Bled the rear brakes so the whole system has got fresh fluid. Basically the car has had a full service, minus the valve clearances which I will do in the next few weeks.

Here is the pile of old parts I was left with at the end of the day..:sarcastic

What a difference all that work has made...:eek
No more clonking rear suspension and the car feels tight as now. Very happy with the work so far. I will drive it for a few miles then get it booked in for a rear wheel alignment which should improve things even more...:thumbsup
Deffo gonna put new front shocks in at some point, just gotta save the pennies now.

Just gotta give it a wash in the morning ready for the midlands meet tomorrow..:thumbsup

#117 ·
Another good days work Stevie boy!! :thumbsup

See you at the meet 2moro! Need to wash in the morning as well :embarrassed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.