e46 325ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Hi
    Firstly I want to say is I don't need advice of this is a silly thing to do because I've already purchased everything I just need to know what I do now as I have opened the shifter up to get to the dsc control switch module and the back of it is completely different and I didn't know this prior to the install.

What I'm trying to do is replace the existing module with the m3 sports one, I am aware I will need a new console switch box but where can I get the wiring harness as its completely different from the back and when I connected the wire to the new console switch the dsc button didn't work, anyway I have photos below to show what I mean, any help of DIY will be appreciated although I may be the first ever noob attempt this mod as I can't find any DIY anywhere..

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d 136bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Hi mate it looks like you have two choices,either leave the original there or be prepared to do a bit of wiring.
    The asc button didn't work because the new switch center needs power from the fuse box to be alive.
    Only three wires are needed to give that power through the 23 pin connector.The rest of the pins are for
    seat heating,tyre pressure,soft top opening-closing,rear sunblind ect ect.Of the 23 pins on the back of the unit
    pin 7=voltage supply terminal 30 to fuse 42 and pin 22=terminal R to fuse 12 and pin 23 is the k-bus signal which goes to the top of the fuse box into a strip of red/yellow/white wires what I call the k-bus cluster.
    The k-bus is for diagnostic purposes.So for instance if you ever decided to fit heated seats to your car you just put the seat wiring to the corresponding pins at the back of the unit.
    That sport button I don't think will benefit your car in any way as its for the m3 sport mode or something like that.The switch center you should have got to suit your car would be one with
    the heated seats and rear sunblind and the Harman kardon sound and dsc buttons.Hope this all makes sense to you.
    I have recently installed full automatic aircon(IHKA) into my car so believe me I know my wiring.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to edber For This Useful Post:

ak91k (15-05-2014)

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaffycool's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 325ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    Okay mate thanks for your reply, I tried plugging the pin into the slots but couldn't get it to power so I think I'm going to return the module and then just get the individual buttons that slot in the back, because this module doesn't fit at all and when I wired in the cable that's going into the existing dsc button it didn't work, do you have a wiring diagram for the module?

BMW Guru
    Car Details
    edber's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320d 136bhp
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    What extra buttons are you after?
    What do you want to add to the car?

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaffycool's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 325ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    After the sports button and harmon kardon but the new module does not fit into the console box so I think I have to purchase the individual buttons unless thirds is able to wire in to the car and then all I have do to do is replace the console box

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaffycool's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 325ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    basically if you have a look at this, the guy here has the same console unit as the one i have purchased and he has replaced his old stock one with the ones with the additional buttons 16mm module. so i am aware i will need to purchase a new box that will support the 16mm size which is what i will purchase from here.. 16mm Sat Nav Heater Panel Relocation Unit For BMW E46 | eBay
    but as for the fitting, the back of the new module is shown in the thread FS Cheap: BMW E46 Center Console Switch Unit (Heated Seats, DSC, HK, TPMS, SPORT) - E46Fanatics , and shows that it requires some sort of wiring harness.. the part number for the module is 6921751 but i am not sure where to get the wiring harness from.

thanks

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    gaffycool's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    e46 325ci m sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    coupe

Thanks
    after doing tons of research literally 5 hours straight going onto 5am in the morning, i have finally found the things i am looking for for this fit.

firstly if anyone is doing this same mod you need to be aware that the single module with all the buttons will be a 16mm console switch module, therefore youll need this..
    16mm Sat Nav Heater Panel Relocation Unit For BMW E46 | eBay

partnumber for the above console 16mm box is: 51167001411
    this is for right-hand drive.

second thing you need is this clip for the back, it is for the wiring harness basically a 23 pin connector:
    BMW Wiring Cable Plug Terminal Connector 23 Pin 8380732: Amazon.co.uk: Car & Motorbike

partnumber: 8380732

and then also you need a 4 pin connector, this also connects to the back, you do not need to purchase this connector because if your doing the swap and replacing the multi-box console that has just the dsc (see my pic) with the single one which has all the sports buttons on it then it will already come with the 4 pin connector already, just unplug from the other unit and then attach to the new one, however the partnumber is: 8377234 should you need to replace it.

and yes to point the obvious you need the new console control unit.

finally to get the wiring diagram, go here WDS BMW Wiring Diagram System - 3 E46
    and search on the left for A169 switching center, and then on the right it will show you all the wiring for the connectors. The A1869 is the 23-pin connector, and the X521 is the 4-pin connector. One thing I have noticed is that the new control unit im fitting in only has 3 pins at the top at the place where i am meant to connect the 4-pin connector and i think the ground pin is missing.. so if anyone knows if this is meant to be like this then that will be great, otherwise ill be spending more hours investigating which bores me as im a 21 year old student studing a computer science degree which i should be concentrating more on.. (nah on second thoughts, cars are more fun).

anyway, i have currently ordered these parts and will be continuing with the wiring and install next monday 10th, and will be keeping you up to date, if this post has been helpful please thank me as im a noob, in the meantime stay tuned

10. Removing DSC switch BMW E46 3301 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    samk1950's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E46 330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I seem to have a faulty DSC switch (inpa) Can you or anyone tell me how to remove it without damaging the surround and ripping out the climate control panel & factory tv, cd stacker monitor etc. would be grateful if anyone has pics.