BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Pressure sensor

Tags
pressure
955 views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  stockman 
#1 ·
Just put my 320 cd on a diagnostic machine and its come back the code pressure sensor 2 is faulty. Rang my local Fast Parts store and they said you can only get them from BMW and cost £127 each  Is there anywhere else where I can get them cheaper? Thanks Craig

#4 ·
You could try cleaning up the connectors for the pressure sensor. This worked on mine when it was giving a slightly dodgy reading causing the warning lights to come on. Since cleaning it up it's been fine for 6 months now, before that the lights would come on every few weeks.

I saw the live data on mine, and the dodgy sensor was showing that there was pressure even without the pedal pressed - it was reading 6-7 bar, and the other sensor 1 bar.

I removed the connector, sprayed it with brake cleaner, and connected/disconnected it a few times to loosen deposits, sprayed again, then carefully tightened the metal connections using a small screwdriver to bend the metal pieces in very slghtly, to give a tighter contact with the pins on the sensor. After that the sensor reading was down to 1 bar the same as the other sensor and no lights since.

#6 · (Edited)
They are under the brake fluid reservoir, look down the side and you should see two identical looking connectors fitted to a couple of black bits sticking out of the side.

One of them is a bit of a pain to get your hands to, I think I used a small screwdriver to push the clip on the connector inwards to release it. If you're really stuck you can try removing the plastic trim panel surrounding the area, not sure how easy that is though.

It took a few hours for the readings to get to normal, as I think there was some wet brake cleaner in there still which altered the readings slightly, I tried to blow the fluid out but a bit must've missed a bit. It seems those connections are very sensitive to any contamination at all. A spray down onto the sensor part where the connector fits onto would be a good idea too, to clean that side of it up too, and try blowing the liquid out to speed it drying out.

#9 ·
I tried the 'clean-up' method but it came back after a few days. So I bought one sensor and changed the easiest one to get at, but kept it in the toolbox in case I'd chosen the wrong one. That was6 months ago so I guess I can dispose of it now. But I'm well-known as a hoarder so it may stay with me a little longer.

#10 ·
Shame the cleanup didn't work out for you. I would keep it as it might be needed in future.

I'm a bit of a hoarder too for car parts, but a year after selling my MG ZS I finally went through my spares box and got rid of things like brake pads and coolant caps for it, etc. etc.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.