BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Ode to the N42...............

Tags
ode
14K views 79 replies 15 participants last post by  dailydoggy 
#1 ·
Ide just like to say thanks BMW.... For making my life so bloomin brilliant!

The N42......

N42B18

The N42B18 is a 1.8 L (1796 cc) version producing 85 kW (115 hp) and 175 N·m (129 ft·lbf). It uses Bosch DME ME9.2 fuel injection. It has twin-balancing shafts. The N42B18 won the 1.4-1.8 L category of the International Engine of the Year competition for 2001.

Applications:

* 2001-2003 E46 316i/316ti

N42B20

The N42B20 is a larger 2.0 L (1995 cc) version. It produces 105 kW (143 hp) and 200 N·m (148 ft·lbf) with the same Bosch DME ME9.2 fuel injection. It has twin balance shafts.

Applications:

* 2001-2003 E46 318i/318Ci/318ti

Ide like to shake the hand of the designer... then knee him in the baws!! :lol

I want to start a petition and get BMW to recall all N42's and find out why it makes this disgusting noise at idle and sounds like a bag of screaming smashed crabs when under load coming from the exhaust... I think its pathetic how BMW say.. "they all sound like that..." Now im sorry but when the poor basteward bought it new I can garuntee it didnt sound like what mine and others sound like today!

So nealP seen as you have your connections with BMW i say you put forward a letter to BMW UK proposing the recall... :lol ;)

That is all gentlemen!

List:

1.Ben Alsbury - N42B18 owner.

See less See more
#12 ·
ill just step in here and agree with this ode if i had the need too but i dont cos my n42 perfectly tuned engine which runs just like a well oiled machine doesnt even rattle but if bmw were to recall them after your petition id gladly accept an e46 m3 engine as a replacement

#25 ·
yeah man.. coming right up!

I'll see what I can do. Whats the best way to up a video? (Sorry). I'm sure there's lots of people out there that are perfectly happy with their N42 but it seems almost like they are afraid to admit to having one. All engines have pros and cons but I find the N42 to be pretty torquey for a 2.0 litre and it pulls my 1349kg car along nicely, general running cost are a bit cheaper and lets not forget that it's still DOHC 16v and it's still glorious rear wheel drive. Sure, the big 6 BMW engines are fine, fine specimens but it does'nt mean that everything else is cack.
Best thing to do JON is take a video on your camera and upload it to photobucket as you would with pictures... :thumbsup

#48 ·
to me chattering like summat bouncing off summat thats got play in it..

you ever unplugged the valvetronic stepper motor so it reverts to the standard butterfly throttle body??

you saying it dissapears as soon as you touch the throttle??

#49 ·
to me chattering like summat bouncing off summat thats got play in it..

you ever unplugged the valvetronic stepper motor so it reverts to the standard butterfly throttle body??
By that you mean the servomotor thing... i wouldnt know which plug that would be... on the lhs of the engine i assume... near the exhaust manifold?

#50 ·
to be honest i dont know where the plug for the valvetronic cam stepper motor is, but if its only making this noise on tickover with no throttle interaction i still think its pointing to the valvetronic shite..

in theory if the motor was unplugged it should still clatter but any throttle interaction the noise should continue instead of silencing as the stepper motor is unplugged so the valvetronic assembly is remaining in the null position and its using the throttle butterfly to control air fuel mixture (limp mode)..

#55 ·
you have to remember in normal operation the valvetronic only operates when you touch the throttle everything else is already spinning or doing its thing the only thing that starts moving when you touch the throttle is the valvetronic. so if its dosen't make the noise when your revving it but does when its at tickover the only thing that has moved is your right foot and the valvetronic crap..

capiche?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.