BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

HELP - First time BMW owner Dangerous issue loosing power

732 views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Thomson 
#1 ·
HELP! - Not 100% sure if I am using this site correctly but here goes.

I have a 2001 318ti Coupe, done 130000 kms.
This issue happens every couple of weeks and once it starts it carrys on for a few days then will subside. While driving (usually on the motorway) the car will beep and the battery light will come up and I loose power. If I rev then power seems to come back. If I don't do this quick enough the car looses power and turns off. Then takes a few attempts to start.
I took the car into my mechanic who scanned her and said it was a Catalyc converter issue, he quoted me the price and the car started working fine again so I didn't do anything. A month later it started happening so I took her back. He then said it was a cam sensor issue which he fixed for around $1000 NZD. The issue is still happening so before taking it back I want to get some advice.

I have had the alternator tested and came back fine.

Any help would be much appreciated please!! AND if im not posting in the correct area please guide me to the right place :)

Thanks!!
Ally

See less See more
#6 ·
When you say you lose power, do you mean that the car slows? Do the revs dip below idle during this?

If the engine really is fading badly enough it's possible that the alternator is fine and it's just not being powered adequately.

Losing power like that could be any number of things, so you'll need someone who knows what they're doing to diagnose it.

By the way, $1000 NZD for a cam sensor issue? :eek

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.