BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E46 320D - Just collected and lots of black smoke!!

45K views 40 replies 16 participants last post by  Xmak 330d 
#1 ·
Hey everyone, I collected my BMW 320D Touring last night and my partner followed me home! I noticed a lot of smoke behind and it was dark so you could see it cleary and she said there was loads of thick black smoke coming out! I can kick myself as I didnt notice this on the test drive which was during the day! I checked today and you cant see the smoke so much but still visable especially when accelarating but its so bad that you can even see black fumes on the rear bumper! I feel worried sick that I have now spent all that money on a dodgy car! The owner said that it had a new turbo only 5 months ago howver cant find the receipt! The turbo doesnt make any strange noises and it does pull really well however i notice this morning that when i first started it it was a bit lumpy on idle but drove fine! I have heard that it could be the oil separator or egr valve from a local mechanic and he said it could be that the oil separator was not replaced when the turbo was changed? Has anyone got any ideas or do you think I have brought a knackered car?

#33 ·
The turbo is only 5 months old and was new from the Essex Turbo Centre, I have been advised that it could be the oil breather! I asked the guy at the bmw garage aabout the EGR valve and he said it would not cause the smoking! Could lake of air entering the air filter cause black smoke? Bt the way car runs lovely and pulls like a train

#37 ·
I really think if it's pulling hard, as you've said it is. It will of been remapped for more power hence the smoke and proformance. " there's no poke without smoke" from a diesel!
If it is standard and black smoking like you say it is, it would be way down on power.
You would need to get a tuning company/dealer? to look at the ecu to see if it has been altered.

#38 ·
god knows, i brought the car as i thought i wouldnt have to do anything to it but its taking all of my time so far! I cant see any damaged pipes or anything, checked all vacumm pipes and they seem fine! One thing I notice, I am missing the air intake which is the front panel and i think this links up to the air box, therfore the air filter isnt getting a cold feed from the front of the car, could this cause the smoke?

#41 ·
The cars intercooled any way so the slightly warmer air going in air filter will barely make any difference to the temperature of the air actually going in the engine. There will be a bigger difference between driving on a summers day and a winters day.
Basically no will not make the car smoke more, sertainlly not noticeable to the naked eye.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.