BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

51 plate E46 316Ti (1.8 petrol) Compact - EML & excessive oil usage?

9K views 10 replies 6 participants last post by  Lanyard 
#1 · (Edited)
51 plate E46 316Ti (1.8 petrol) Compact - Engine Light & excessive oil usage?

Hey guys,

I bought a '51 plate compact a few months ago and it's been ok... but lately have been having a few issues. Not sure if they are related or not.
I'm hoping for some advice before I cough out the dosh to have it checked as i'd rather fix it myself.

So the symptoms.

- It uses about 1/2ltr of oil every 6-800miles (this has been going on since i got it - i'm guessing just a normal oil leak somewhere)

- Engine light is on (book says something about emissions?) This is a new problem, and the light went away for a couple weeks after being on for a few days and has just reappeared?!

- With that as well it's also puffing out a bit of white smoke when the engine is under a bit of load or just revved (Head gasket??)

Any hints/tips would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers

See less See more
#4 ·
Symptoms sound about right with what you've said. If you are any good with engines or have a friend who is it can be a reletively cheap repair. Not done this repair for a few years but it's mainly a case of gaskets and bolts. A gararge would charge a good few quid as they always do...

#10 ·
It does sound like it's tapping a bit on idle, but doesn't sound too bad??

Get the DME fault codes read, before you start guessing about causes.

My take on this is the oil is being pushed out by a faulty oil separator - common issue on the N42, they get blocked and fill the intake manifold up with oil and crud. This blockage is then pushing the fuel trim up causing the EML. You could also have a vac leak or a split hose somewhere. How is the idle? Does the car cut out when the oil cap is opened?
I'll pop the intake off soon and check for signs of excessive oil in there.. I'll also check today if the idle changes with the oil cap opened - haven't done tried that yet.

One more comment about it. The performance hasn't changed! Still drives exactly the same all the way through the range and earlier today after some motorway miles and turning the car on and off again the light has gone away???
Also there does sound like a vac leak coming from the N/S of the bulk head/engine?

#6 ·
Get the DME fault codes read, before you start guessing about causes.

My take on this is the oil is being pushed out by a faulty oil separator - common issue on the N42, they get blocked and fill the intake manifold up with oil and crud. This blockage is then pushing the fuel trim up causing the EML. You could also have a vac leak or a split hose somewhere. How is the idle? Does the car cut out when the oil cap is opened?

#7 ·
May not help but my 320ci has been smoking a lot and burning excesive oil for a while, spoke to a friend who is a bmw indy and he said 9 times out of ten the burning and smoking is probably wrong oil, so changed mine to 10/40 which he said these engines prefer as reccomended oil is to new for the engine and fingers crossed mine hasnt smoked or burnt oil since, worth a try mate

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.