BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

330d egr blank

Tags
blank
2K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  TimHaire 
#1 ·
Hi everyone just need a bit of info on the egr blank, i have replaced the egr with the egr blank and zip tied the vaccuum pipe but dont seem to be getting any more mpg according to the mpg display, just wondered if i may have done it wrong or it wont show up on the display?

#2 ·
You probably won't get any difference. The mpg may improve if you strip and decoke the inlet manifold but you will not improve it a great deal over stock, if you saw a gain of 2 mpg i would be surprised. At least with a blank it won't be robbing you of mpg by clogging the inlet

#3 ·
Yeah i will be taking off the plastic manifold this weekend and cleaning it out, any more cheap and easy mods? Was thinking of a decat pipe? Some people said with egr blank i should get 5mpg, i brought a proper egr replacement not just stuck a bit of tin in to blank it, thanks for your help

#4 ·
Decat is an mot fail now unless you plan to gut it. It may gain you a small amount of economy and an economy remap might get you a gain if 3-4mpg but you need to do a lot of miles to make the initial outlay back. £300 buys a lot of diesel!
With respect, if economy is what you're after, a 330d isn't the best choice, especially with an auto box

#7 ·
Iv got 2002 330d 184bhp with 215k and just decat it from turbo and then went and had mot and sailed throw the smoke test on this came back at 0.07 and a fail is 1.50 so am going to get the over 2 smaller ones taken off the mot man was very surprised with mine coming back that low but no it will not fail ok and I put redX in every over tank with all the bottle in and just keep up on the service with Castrol edge oil hope this helps mate

#11 ·
I have a 2003 530d MSport touring Auto. I am on holiday in Spain just now and got 46mpg on the motorway on the way here at about 80mph most of the way. I had the car remapped at BW Chiptune and got some improvement in the mpg (and much more fun) and even better mpg when I did an EGR bypass. Sounds to me like you need to check your thermostats if the engine is running cool it will use extra fuel...

#14 ·
Best to check the actual running temp. mine has a function on the dash display that can show the exact running temp. of the engine. when i got the car the mpg was less than i had hoped when i checked the actual running temp it was around 75c even though the gauge sat at around 1/2 as you would expect. after i replaced the thermostats (2 on an auto) the engine runs at 88-90c and much better mpg. check out this video for how to unlock the hidden OBC menu on the dash
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twM7NchxjXI

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.