BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 e46 325ci se convertible on 18" mv2 alloys pulling and bouncing generally not feeling right

6K views 37 replies 9 participants last post by  vauxfan 
#1 ·
PHP:
Hi guys, Just fitted a set of genuine staggered 18" MV2 alloys to my standard 325ci se convertible and it seems like she doesnt like them!...

The alloys are in good shape fully balanced apart from a bit of paint flaking off inside and have 255/35/18 on the rear and 225/40/18 on the front...the tyres have around 2.5mm tread left on them.

The drive is slightly bumpy as expected with low profile tyres but when going through a pothole she jumps and doesent deel stable. also when braking sometimes she seems to pull to the left and can tramline at times...

Just wonder if this is being caused by the suspension as 18" MV's are usually fitted to the sports models....or could it be the tyres that are nearly at the end of their life...or does she need to be re-aligned as she came standard with 16" alloys with 205/55/16 all round...

Any views would be appreciated....

Thanks guys.....

#9 ·
Pilot sports are a good tyre for the E46 tho @2.5mm you'll be needing replacements soon.
As a stopgap suggest you try different tyre pressures in front and rear tyres, start on say 32psi fronts and 38psi rears
then drive if you're still not happy increase or decrease pressure by 2psi max.

#12 ·
if i was you as you need new tyres soon, i would get tyres

see what it like after that then get it alligned if you have the same problems,

Whats it like the rest of the time? goes in straight line? steering wheel at 12 o'clock when going in a straight line?

If it was fine with 16's on its probably the tyres,

When i bought my winter wheels, they came with rubbish tyres on with next to no tread, So i thought before going to get new tyres put on i would take it out for a dirft session, you didnt need to try to hard, it was all over the place even going in a straight line 70mph it would find any rut and bounce arround inside it

#13 ·
Part worn tyres off another car, as I guess these wheels/tyres are. Will be worn to the other cars set up, or lack of set up. How does the wear look on the tyre? Even across the tyre? Bigger wheels with low profile, ask more questions from the suspension. How are the bushes in your suspension? Namely front, rear track arm bushes.

#17 ·
no problems,

I would of said if they are worn on the inside edges thats your problem right there

Try http://www.blackcircles.com/ for new tyres, i got my last set of rears from on there, they fit at a local tyre place to you too

#20 ·
run flates? personnally i wouldnt bother,

most people are taking rft's off because they dont like them, too hard

My girlfriend has them on her mini cooper and tbh they are horrible, i wouldnt put them back on it

#24 ·
yep,, i took the run flats off mine,and wont be putting them back on!!
and yes , i would get the 4 wheel alignment checked
if its ok ,,its free
if it needs adjustment,,itll ride better

#27 ·
i would get the 4 wheel alignment checked
if its ok ,,its free
Really? Great garage you've found yourself, any checks I've ever had have cost me - whether it needs adjustment or not.

But... before you go down the road of alignment & expect it to cure your woes, consider the bigger picture.

Your previous 16in wheels & tyres hid a multitude of sins. You have a lot more of a rubber/air cushion on all 4 corners of the car, so any worn suspension components get disguised.

Put the 18in wheels on there & all of a sudden you're on the road (almost literally); the tyres do a hell of a lot less cushioning, and the suspension does a lot more work. Any wear in the suspension gets magnified tenfold with those 18's on there. Much more so if they're runflats. Also, they may be mishapen/worn unevenly from the last car they came off. I assume you've set the pressures as they're meant to be?

First thing I'd check is the suspension bushes - all of them. The Front Control Arm Bushes are ones that will play hell with pulling/crashing of the suspension. The RTAB's are harder to diagnose, but if in doubt, swap them.
After that sort out those tyres (costly business - sorry).
Check your springs for breaks (esp the rears) and the shocks, to make sure they're in good condition.
Steering gear - there are ball joints at the inner & outer ends of the track rods. You can also get wear on the steering column joints that make it feel like the steering rattles around.

After you've checked things, replaced as required, and done those tyres... then align it.

Hope some of this helps. I'm sure a knowledgeable forum member near you will volunteer to check it out for/with you.

HTH

#28 ·
Paddy you are pretty much spot on...ihave heard knocks and rattles here and there from the suspension and am not sure what is worn and whats not. I did take the car to an indy b4 i put the 18"s on and he told me he thinks the car handles perfectly but surprise surprise i think it handles like S**T.

I know the front control arm bushes are pretty new as ive seen them myself. The RTA bushes i think are ok and the rear springs were done a few months back due to the o/s coil cracking. Not too sure about the TC rod and end...also the front stabilizer links im not too sure about?

The shocks im not sure about as the ride was very bumpy and would creak here and there although when you do the "bounce test" its very firm....no leaks though

As i said in a previous post the alignment was done about 3 months ago and they didnt find anything wrong with the suspension as these things have to be checked b4 the alignment is done as you prob know.

Any pointers as to how to check for things that are worn eg. shocks or track rods/ends.....

Thanks guys....

#29 ·
I've re-read the thread properly... get some decent non-runflat tyres on there for a start. Same brand & type all round (just different sizes front & back). Or get rid of the 18's & revert to the 16's for a bit (to fall back in love with the car if nothing else).
Not much use - sorry - but just a temp suggestion.
HTH

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.