BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2004 E46 320d-fault code help

Tags
320dfault
6K views 24 replies 7 participants last post by  shandy 
#1 ·
Hi,

Could anyone shed any light on this fault code i had my car plugged into a diagnostics machine and up popped this-

4191 Charge Air Pressure Controller Activation, short circuit to negative open circuit

My car has no power after 1500rpm,and im wondering if its anything to do with the map sensor.

Any help would be a help.:thumbsup

#6 ·
That's what comes up on a 2004.
A turbo will never be electronic as the temperatures are too high.

Instead, they use vacuum to provide the power, controlled by a solenoid that will allow or deny the vacuum to operate the actuator.
When the solenoid recieves power from the ecu, vacuum is passed through to the wastegate, and this pulls the door shut giving boost.

At the moment, there is no boost as the wastegate is staying open, and the ECU is reporting the solenoid is looking like it's shorted / open

#13 ·
Yes ive found it and its comig up the same as you got in the link,the thing is with my turbo ive got an atuator arm and when you turn ignition on it will open and if you turn off the ignition it moves back.

The only thing its doing now is trying to open but with no sucsess.

There is no vaccum resevoir near the turbo so im a bit confused?

I do know they changed the turbo somewhere around the 2003/2004 mark but i dont now when

#24 ·
electronic actuators cannot be replaced on the turbo variable vane electronic control type its new or nothing but its rarely the electronic actuator failed and more the variable vanes sticking due to carbonised deposits on the vanes being the source of the poor boost problems and performance..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.