Model of Car:
    325TI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Yeah I did re-use the bolt (for clamping strut leg). Just just right torque value of +/- 81 Nm.
    There is no nut..........

Also beware of strut aligment, just have a good look when removing the old strut.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Evening folks!

Hope you all had a good Christmas and looking forward to the new year.

Firstly, thanks Just4u, that explains the 'missing' nuts, checked mine and there aren't any, so I'll just order up the bolts from BMW tomorrow and hopefully pick them up this week.

Thanks also to BMW325TI on the alignment advice, I'd have missed that as I assumed the shocks just went in as far as they can and that's that as it were?

Meanwhile, decided I'd fit the rear top mounts, Meyle HD. I managed to snap the end of the shock off when trying to tighten up the nut. Had it held in a vice, and could feel it going wrong as it were. Might be salvageable, if I can file/grind in some new flats to grip the rod to stop it from spinning when tightening, not holding out much hope to be honest.

So based on what I can make out of the labels on the rear shocks, they're Pro Sport Coilovers, which looking online are a budget suspension set.

As I want to replace my shocks and springs, and due to my heavy handedness, will likely have to do so sooner rather than later, I've gone some googling and either looking at a set of Bilstein B12 Sportlines with Eibach springs, which come in around £580, or I'm thinking due to finances going for something cheaper. I've got B4s with Eibach on my Golf, and they're pretty good to be fair, maybe a bit stiff but then they're supposed to be sporty.

What do we know about Meyle's shocks? Not a lot on here about them, they seem to be a direct replacement for M-Tech kits, which suits me.

What springs would you recommend with the Meyle kit, Eibach still or something else?

Also, I decided to do a Christmas list this year, in hope of avoiding socks and smellies, and have now also got myself some more Meyle bits to fit; Droplinks front and rear, front top mounts, inner and outer track rods, and a bunch of bushes for the rear, not the subframe ones. All I'm really missing are the HD wishbones, which I'll get along with the shocks and springs, again these being £135 leans me more towards the Meyle shocks due to cost.

Any other bits you'd recommend I get whilst doing the suspension? I'll get a set of the rear top mount supports from the Z4, but more thinking along the lines of the bits and bobs on the shocks for both front and rear. I think the kits will come with bump stops and boots, if not I'll get those, so talking about the metal cups and what not.

Thoughts folks? Would like to order this evening to be honest, then there's a good chance they'll be here by the weekend.

Thanks

Rog

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Morning folks,

More googling has got me looking at a set of Bilstein B14 PSS coilovers, these can be bought for £676, which is over budget, but I figured if I'm putting it on the credit card anyway, essentially for an extra £100 I can get the coilovers. I'm running on 19" BBS LM reps, and figure if I have coilovers when the alignment is done they can raise and lower things so that the wheels fill the arches without rubbing.

Bilstein B14 PSS Ride Height Adjustable Coilover Suspension Kit - 47-126848 | eBay

That said, how long, realistically, do you guys find these suspension upgrades last? I won't be able to splash out like this again in another 18 months - 2 years, I'd like to think I'll get 4-5 years out of it, am I kidding myself? I'm not going on a track, I drive 1300 miles a month to work, then extra at weekends depending on what we're up to.

If we're only thinking 2 years, then I might as well go cheap and cheerful and accept I'll have to save up for the next set, but no be broke whilst doing so...

Thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Rog

5. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    BMW325TI's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325TI
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Compact

Thanks
    Rear shocks strut nut require very low torgue value.

I have no experience with Meyle shocks, even I don't trust them.
    Most Meyle parts are not good as most people says.
    If you are riding normal they should fine.

Yes go for Bilstein, they know how to make suspension parts.
    You have a Bimmer, so don't save a pennies for less handle performance.

Weitec springs are also good in quality and value.
    If you buy Bilstein front struts, most of them have internal stop bumps.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Evening folks,

So who whilst I'm still faffing about what suspension kit to buy, I've made a start on replacing the other bits I've got, and I'm having fun replacing the upper ball joints on the rear trailing arms. There's a tool you can buy for about £30, which I think I'll possibly end up ordering based on tomorrows progress. So far I've managed to remove one of them, and it was really loose, lots of play, so definitely needed doing, but I ripped up the boots removing it, which is why I'm loathed to use the same method to fit the new ones. I'm currently using a couple of sockets either side of the ball joint, on a length of threaded rod, one side smaller (32mm) pressing the joint out, and a larger (46mm) on the other side as a receiver. I'll see if I can get hold of a 33 or 34 socket as this will hopefully clear the rubber boots better, but its whether they'll fit through the trailing arm.

I've also read that the M3 has the ball joint in both the upper and lower parts of the trailing arm, where we have a normal bush in the lower, so I'm essentially going for a bit of an upgrade by all accounts fitting ball joints all round.

Still undecided on my new suspension kit, I've now started reading up on BC Racing Coilovers, specifically their BR set, which seem to get very good reviews from pretty much everyone, only negative I've heard about sounds like a potentially dodgy batch some time back, where some people were having knocking issues with their rear shocks. Anyway, at £650ish I'm on the brink of pulling the trigger, just waiting back on some questions from BR. From what I've read, and maybe someone on here can help, their kit fits all E46s regardless of model, so I've found AwesomeGTI selling the M3 kit for £630 + delivery, and if I can get BR to confirm this kit will fit my car I'll order. I'm basing this on people who've received kits labelled as being for the M3, when they don't have and haven't ordered M3 kits, but after they've contacted BR they've responded saying the kit fits all, its just the springs that will be different, as you can choose your spring rates, the M3 kit comes with 8kg fronts and 12kg rears, were as the rest of us E46ers get 7/8kg kits, but BR also stated that due to customer feed back 8/12kg is the better setup...

Thoughts, suggestions guys?

Have a good night to those of you celebrating the new year!

Thanks again

Rog

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Afternoon folks,

Well I'm having to concede on these upper and lower rear trailing arm ball joints/bushes and get myself a proper tool for the job. Attempted to fit a new ball joint and managed to tear the boot, which pleased me. So below are a couple of pics of the tools I'm intending to order this week, anyone used these before and have any input, or can recommend any different tools? They're both about £30 each delivered. I say both as the second of the two is for the RTAB (Rear Trailing Arm Bushes - Not the front wishbones as lots of people online seem to get confused by).

Upper ball joint tool for Rear trailing arm

Rear trailing arm bush tool

By the way, as the two tools appear to be identical, a part from the actual cups/receivers, I've asked the seller if there's a chance of a combo kit containing just the one set of threaded bar and bearings, you don't ask, you don't get

Thanks again

Rog

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    stockman's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320D
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    That may work out cheaper but don't forget it's the threaded section which takes all the strain and so will wear out first. If you only intend it as a one-off then it's OK but if you want to keep it for future use you'd be better off getting both.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Evening,

I've been thinking the same thing, and as I still need to remove another ball joint, and a pair of bushes, and then re-fit 4 new ball joints, I don't need the thread snapping on me

Thanks again

Rog

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Afternoon folks,

Well I've order myself a BC Racing BR Coilover kit from AwesomeGTI, £640 delivered, best price I could find, hopefully be here late next week, possibly the week after.

Also ordered both of the bush removal tools above.

I'll probably post a separate thread, but any suggestions on where to take the car for full alignment once its all fitted? Also would you give it a week (350+ miles) to settle in first? I'm ideally after somewhere reliable in Kent (South East)

So now I'm trying to workout what nuts and bolts and bits to replace as part of my suspension refresh, I know the front strut nuts for sure as these are renowned for breaking, also read the nuts with the Meyle HD wishbones are best not used and to get BMW instead, what about the other bits guys? I've contacted my local BMW and here's what I'm looking at, prices might be helpful, unless you're looking at this several years later

Front suspension king pin lower bolt (no nuts on these)
    31306779487 - lower bolts with built in washers x 2 £3.96
    34526780591 - bracket (left) x 1 £10.09 (Probably not going to get these, due to the price)
    34526780592 - bracket (right) x 1 £10.09

Rear Anti-roll bar bracket and nuts and bolts

33506779734 - Bracket x 2 £2.25
    07119902900 - Bolt x 2 £0.48
    07129904002 - Nut x 2 £0.52

07119903076 - Bolt for drop links x2 £0.71
    07129904002 - Nut for drop links x2 £0.52

Upper ball joint nuts and bolts
    33176760343 - bolts x 2 £4.42
    33326760668 - nuts x 2 £1.17

Lower bush camber bolts nuts and washers 2 of each
    33326863853 - Camber bolts x 2 £6.13
    33326760363 - Camber washer x 2 £3.92
    33326760668 - nuts x 2 £1.17

Wishbone nuts 2 of each
    31106774714 - inner nuts x 2 £1.50
    32216769539 - outer nuts x 2 £1.17

Thanks again

Rog

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    FSARoyster's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    Evening folks,

My upper ball joint removal/fitting kit turned up this weekend, so had a go a fitting one, so much easier than messing about with sockets and what not.

Anyway, someone might find this mildly interesting. I made a 30sec clip of the old ball joints vs new, there's a lot of play in the old ones, possibly originals for all I know, and the new which I can't budge, so hopefully when I get my new suspension kit and I've fitted that, this'll make some difference. Ideally I'd like test the benefits/improvements of each new part as I fit them, so I can actually report back that fitting X or Y has actually made a difference, but to be fair it's not really going to be practical...

Thanks again

Rog

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast