BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 320i Excessive Oil Usage

19K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  TheDriver 
#1 ·
Hi,

May I first start by saying this is the first time I have owned a BMW and have read alot of the threads on this very imformative site.
I recently purchased a BMW 320i SE Manual Year 2002 with 90,000 miles on the clock. It is a lovely car and have no issues except one major one.
I recently completed about 600 miles and I had to put in 1 litre of oil. Why is the consumption of oil so great. I have no leaks etc. I also had a service including oil just before I bought the car.
I have read threads that say this oil usage is within manufacturers limits , is this really correct. Please advise.

Many Thanks

#2 ·
1000 miles a litre is considered normal useage and acceptable..

some engines do some don't..

bmw big 6's do...its a very thin oil to start with thats used tho, most cars dont use such a thin oil but the manufacturing tolerances of the engine are greater and why they don't sound as smooth and tight as a beemer as they get older..,.

#3 ·
I was getting that problem with my 2001 320i SE. I wrote into a BMW mag I that buy every month. Ive got 90000 miles on the clock and the reply was to stop using the Castrol edge 0-30w. Recommendation was to use Casrol magnatec 10-30w or 10-40w semi synthetic. I've done nearly 1300 miles and I would be lucky if it would take a thimble full, I also put in a tube of Forte valve stem conditioner and some oil fortifier so I'm quite happy so far. I'm also considering replacing the ccv and relevant hoses, I priced them from BMW and the price would be £113 including VAT. I'm keeping my fingers crossed

#4 ·
:jaw-dropping

i bet they said use 10w cos its thicker and more viscous thats why! and its completely the wrong oil i give your engine a dire long term prognosis if you continue to use that oil its not even synthetic or long life and does not even meet the basic BMW spec..

will fook your engine eventually its over stressing it especially when cold it will eventually smoke and start rattling and it will deffo fubar the vanos sooner or later aswell..

#6 ·
I have 2002 320i and have the same problem . I'm using bmw oil 5-30w(castrol) LLO1 and the engine used 1 litre per 1300km(NO LEAKS). One month ago i changed the oil with Total Quartz 9000, it's full synthetic 5-40w with BMW LL01 specification.
I just check the oil level at 1000km and the oil consumption is at about 0.2l(200ml) per 1000km, so that is problem solved for me. I recommend to try this oil, also is very cheap compare to castrol, is 30euros for 5l bottle

#7 ·
daily doggy, for the age of the car, and for the average cold spells we have per year, imo, that engine will run perfectly well until the days when its too old, too tired and worth to little to care on the more viscous 10w oil. Good advice imo, id go with this if i was in the same dilemma.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#8 ·
you obviously know nothing about all aluminium construction engines and engineering tolerances and oil thats too thick and its implications..

cast iron block engines can take a thicker oil ,aluminium blocks cannot long term, and hence M3's run on thicker oil cos they have a cast iron block...

#9 ·
e46 engines burn oil...its what i was told by bmw themselves when i had mine...to the point where cooper bmw in croydon used to give u a quart of oil as part of the service just to top up!!!
Use the oil specified for the engine and just top up when needed is the best advice you can get!

#10 ·
the car has 90k on, we know nothing of his driving style, extent of long run short run journeys etc etc. i know enough that this will see the car out for the rest of its days, with no detrimental effects. re vanos: like these are not dogged with problems regardless anyway. Hence bmw mag who consult the professionals suggest this. Age old trick

#15 ·
lol, im not arguing either!! i know best practice to use recommended oil, but with that mileage id still go for semi over fully any day. semi synthetic oils are extremely good these days, and still in general quite a thin oil. even go with the fully synthetic for winter, then semi for summer??? haa, i dont want to fall out, and i am listening deputy dog!! :)

#17 ·
Use the right spec oil! DD is absolutely spot on 0w30 or 5w30 fully synthetic is what you should use. Whether it be castrol, mobil, millers etc.. It just needs to meet BMW spec. If your engine sounds rattly, burns oil on this spec of oil then the problem needs sorting thicker oil will put a plaster on it for a time but you end up with a fooked engine. With the right oil, regular servicing your engine will suffer minimal wear and should last well past 150,000 miles.

#19 ·
Beautiful car - poop'd engine?

Hi guys, hope you're all well. First post... :lol2

From what I've read on this thread 1 litre of oil for 600 miles seems normal. So how about 4 litres in under 1000 miles? I don't think that's normal is it?

Just bought an '03 E46 2 weeks ago and the oil light comes on every 150-200 miles. Keep topping it up with 10w40 but it's still burning like nobody's business. No leaks. On paper the car's good - just turned 94k, 1 lady owner from new, full service history (mostly BM) last serviced in march at 89k. I've heard failed rings are a common fault in the 2.0 straight 6? Is this the case with mine do you thinks?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.