BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2002 E46 316i - Disks and pads.

Tags
316i disks pads
1K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  cooldude27uk 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi folks, just got myself my first BMW at long last! 47 years old and been driving scrappers for years. Always thought I could never afford one but found what I think is a bargain. 2002 316i SE 88K £3.5k. Been driving it for a week now, offering to take the kids wherever they wanna go just to drive, going to work is a joy. Car is really clean, no marks on bodywork, engine sounds good no clanks, rattles or strange noises so far any way.
I do have a query though, the brakes are good, well, they stop me which is a start, but the disks are a bit scored and could do with being replaced. I have found good tutorials on how to do this but, which brakes do I use? There is such a big choice and price range. I don't have a fortune to spend and as I don't intend to track it or anything I would like to know what you guys would recommend.

Many thanks.
Mal

#2 ·
Best all round for normal use is ATE discs and pads, which are OE at the factory. I'm not as sure about the E46, but the E39 with a bad brake set up / components give a lot of bother warping discs / judder etc.

I've had 5 BM's and always stick with OE, never have any problems, pads wear as you would expect - the good thing about this is when the pads are wearing it usually means the disc's are not / or getting scored, as the ones on yours now show.

Put it back to factory spec would be my advice. GSF or ECP should be able to supply ATE

Welcome to BMW land:thumbsup

#3 ·
Try Eurocarparts or GSF (Germans Swedish French).Thats if they are in your neck of the woods.

They are usually pretty good for disc and pads. You should at least be able to find out what size disc you will need from there website and then attack Ebay with the correct disc size and see what bargains are to be had.
And congrats on your new purchase. Its great getting a new car.

#6 ·
I changed my rear disks (piged £32) and pads (ECB green stuff £42) been fine. Is you brake warning light on? (O) you will also need the sensor.

I had a real hard time getting the rear disks off though, turned out to be the handbrake shoe pressing up against the disk. Still needed rubber hammer!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.