BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 330d - my first bmw, few issues

2K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  bimmer320 
#1 ·
Hi everyone!

Picked up my first BMW couple of days ago, very happy with it! but got a couple of niggles i would like to sort, well one niggle, and one i hope is a small issue!

Firstly the Gear linkage feels a little loose, no problems chaning gear etc, but bit of movement once engaged. are there any bushes that are prone to wear/easy to replace? (184bhp/5speed box)

secondly, there is quite a loud whistle when the turbo spools up. Im sure its allot louder than it should be. cant see any blue smoke, but does smoke a little when i've booted it. Im very much hoping its a split pipe - are there any prone to splitting?

I got the car very cheap, and on the whole very happy with it, very comfy and smooth to drive with its loverly 6cyl engine! its only done 114k and has been regularly serviced etc.

would appreciate any thoughts on these issues? cheers.

#2 ·
Yeh there a few bushes on the gear linkage you can replace (not sure how easy there to do) see this link http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=AL92&mospid=47642&btnr=25_0282&hg=25&fg=05

Dose sound like there's a split hose somewhere, I can only really hear my turbo spool up with the radios turned off and it's a struggle to get mine to smoke. Check the pipes/conections carefully from turbo to intercooler and intercooler to egr valve :thumbsup

Also check if the crank case breather has been changed recently, a blocked one leads to premature turbo failure.

How cheap was cheap? If you don't mind me asking?
114k should be just getting run in on a well maintained BMW mines a 160000 and run smooth :cool

#4 ·
Do as Xmak_330D says firstly. If you do not find ANYTHING at all wrong with pipes and breather then yes it may be the turbo that is on its way out. Maybe worth doing a oil and filter service on it if it hasn't been done recently.
If it does transpire to be the turbo itself, then it's not that costly to replace as say the later E90's. You can either pick up a second hand unit (but need to check its history however you can) for about £300 or so. OR by brand new for around £700 upwards depending on where you go. Or even have the turbo rebuilt by a trusted company.

#5 ·
Thanks for the Advice everyone. Im going to go hopefully pick up a new crankcase breather tomorrow, as i imagine it would be an stocked part at a dealers.. hope i find a split pipe, not sure when im going to get a chance to get under it though. might pop into a garage and ask them to take a quick look.

How easy of a job is fitting a new turbo? not afraid of getting my hands dirty, and had to do a smiler job on my last Alfa. dont suppose anyone has documented it?

I only Paid £3150 for it, which i think was pretty good. not seen any others around that price with such 'low' mileage (down south anyway, seems to be slim pickings around here!) It's also currently got a private plate on it that ive had valued at £500, so im considering it to be a £2650 car. or atleast thats what i tell the misses :D

#8 ·
I thought it was a good price! its not in perfect nick on the outside, couple of scratches i can prob work out, and a bit of rust on the bonnet (which seems pretty common!) but i love the dark metallic blue! its great on the iniside, full cream leather - looks new. dunno whats standard on these cars, but seems to have alot of good features - Xenons, electric sunroof, cruise control, rain sensing wipers etc. Will try get some pics when i give it a good clean and going over on thurs :thumbsup

just need to figure out what wiring adaptor i need to replace the factory stereo, as mine seems to be a cross over year!

Thanks again for the help people, will add inlet manifold to my check list! i've seen a few turbos for these on e-bay around £300-450. but not so keen on an unknown used one.. might get a quote for a re-furb as comparison, if it comes to that...

#9 ·
As said get the pipes checked first but you can check for signs of excessive play in the Turbo bearings by removing the air pipe
which travels down from MAF to the Turbo, waggle the shaft side to side and push and pull it to check, oh and do this only when the car is cold.

You're lucky enough to live in area with quite a few members and a quite a few recommended garages :thumbsup

#10 ·
Thanks for the help everyone - good news! had a tinker today and found the hose from the turbo to the inter-cooler hadn't been attached properly at the turbo end. jubile clip had been tightened at a funny angle causing it to twist the hose. Re-fitted all and no more noises :D:D:D. also Cleared the EGR out, although it wasnt too mucky. My Crank case breather hasnt been delivered yet, so can hopefully get that in asap.

Only problem is the car still notably smokes when really hammering it. i checked all the other hoses and cant see any splits. idles really smooth, and pulls well. just smokes a bit? going to nurse around till i get the new breather fitted, but was wondering if anyone had any other ides what may be casung it?

I found an invoice for a £67 maf. seemed very cheap? i know certainly on my prev Alfa fitting a cheapo non bosch maf always caused smokeyness. looks like the security torx bits had been undone at some-point on the maf, guessing a genuine part wouldn't req that, as usually comes in a housing?

Edit - Forgot to mention, there was almost no play in the turbine. infact the turbo looked pretty new! think i might call up the old garages that have worked on it, and ask them to send me information about what they have done to it...

#12 ·
And if it's black smoke, might just be that it needs a good thrashing to clear it all out. Although do that after replacing the breather.

That is a cheap maf more like £140 for genuine Bosch one, but if it's runing smooth and the mpg is good I'de leave it for now.

Pic's pic's pic's :lol

#13 ·
Smoke didnt look bluey at all, mostly grey/black. I was moving rapidly away from it so was hard to tell :D.

from part number, this is maf thats installed. http://www.eurocarparts.com/search/434110581/p/home defo not a bosch part.. if smoking persists after the new breather, may look to get a proper one..

haha, gave it a good clean today, but forgot to take pics :lol . couple of scratches on the rear doors that i wont be able to work out, and the bonnet is covered in chips, and rust spots! may look to getting it re-sprayed its so bad. the rest of the car is pretty mint. when we get a warm day may crack my "anal attention to detail" hat out, and grab the clay bars :lol. keep having to tell myself this is a 10 yer old car so wont be perfect lol.

was relived to find the locking wheel nut rattling around under the spare wheel aswell :confused

#15 ·
DO you know when it was last serviced? if not might be worth doing it including the air and fuel filters, If its being starved of air it will smoke somewhat +whilst you have all the covers off to do the breather it is easy to pop a new air filter in as it saves you taking it apart again :thumbsup

#16 ·
Was only serviced about 5k ago. i had the air-filter cover off and it looked brand new. was planning on seeing what i needed then going to get the bits from dealers in Dorchester while i still had it in bits. but as i didn't need anything, decided to order the breather on-line to save a few quid. i may find the breather has been done recently, i didn't bother taking the cover off as i see the new ones come with new seals, wasn't sure if the old one would re seal properly..

I was impressed with how well it all came apart, and how easy it was to work on, considering the size of the engine. compared to the 2.4JTD the airfilter change is a cinch! apart from the 1 bolt from the EGR i lost into the depths of the under tray..!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.