2001 E46 320i (M54) Saloon: How much to replace Valve Seals?

Notices

Thread: 2001 E46 320i (M54) Saloon: How much to replace Valve Seals?

Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. 2001 E46 320i (M54) Saloon: How much to replace Valve Seals? 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Paddy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i E46 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Hi,

I'm thinking the Valve Stem Oil Seals may need replacing. I've been down the road of Forte Seal Conditioner (slight improvement), changed Crank Case Breather valve, checked for leaks etc and the old girl still uses oil. Typically 400-500 miles/ltr.
    Does anyone have any idea what it might cost to replace the valve seals?
    I'm pretty handy with the spanners so I'm planning on removing and replacing the cylinder head myself.
    Many Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    shaft69's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    GTI with meth injection
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    3dr hatch

Thanks
    You sure its valves? I've replaced blocks on m54's for excessive oil loss with less than 60k on clock. one of the Bores had worn in a oval shape. Done 2 in E60 and 1 in e46 compact.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Paddy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i E46 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    I'm using Mobil 1 0w40. BMW spec oil, so it's getting a little on the pricey side with top up oil.
    I'm not sure about the bores. I haven't done any kind of testing yet to find out exactly what the problem might be...compression testing etc.
    I'm only making an assumption that it's valve stem seals as the Forte Seal Conditioner has made a difference. I'm thinking maybe the seals are too far gone for the forte to fully recover them.

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    MBRGeordie's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320ci
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe

Thanks
    I have exactly the same problem in my 320ci - last time out is was just over 400 miles/litre. I can smell oil at times which leads me to believe my rocker cover gasket may need replaced but this wouldn't count for that amount of oil.

I was going to look at the CCV next but my mechanic mate mentioned changing oil to 5w40 - still within BMW spec but a thicker oil as my car has 95K.

When you say the Forte helped, how did it help?

Super Moderator
    Car Details
    dailydoggy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    330i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,511 Times in 3,489 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy View Post
    I'm using Mobil 1 0w40. BMW spec oil, so it's getting a little on the pricey side with top up oil.
    I'm not sure about the bores. I haven't done any kind of testing yet to find out exactly what the problem might be...compression testing etc.
    I'm only making an assumption that it's valve stem seals as the Forte Seal Conditioner has made a difference. I'm thinking maybe the seals are too far gone for the forte to fully recover them.
    if it bothers you that much ide switch oil change plans and service it with standard BMW spec fully synthetic oil which is a fraction of the price of BMW long life spec oils. you only need long life if your going the full 15k intervals if you change it every 6-7k you can use standard stuff..

you can get 5 litres of standard spec fully synthetic for absolute buttons and your top ups will be mundo cheap..

ide try a 5w 30 or a 5w 40 oil..

i do interim services on mine with standard bmw spec oil in between main intervals as i am not a fan of 15k+ service intervals using long life is a waste of money and oil..
    330i sport a big chunk of berlin...

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Paddy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i E46 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MBRGeordie View Post
    I have exactly the same problem in my 320ci - last time out is was just over 400 miles/litre. I can smell oil at times which leads me to believe my rocker cover gasket may need replaced but this wouldn't count for that amount of oil.

I was going to look at the CCV next but my mechanic mate mentioned changing oil to 5w40 - still within BMW spec but a thicker oil as my car has 95K.

When you say the Forte helped, how did it help?
    The Forte helped reduce the oil consumption by around 100 miles or so. Not a massive change, but enough to make me initially think valve seals may be a contributing factor.

I've gone down the thicker oil route myself, but I noticed no difference in consumption.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Paddy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i E46 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by dailydoggy View Post
    if it bothers you that much ide switch oil change plans and service it with standard BMW spec fully synthetic oil which is a fraction of the price of BMW long life spec oils. you only need long life if your going the full 15k intervals if you change it every 6-7k you can use standard stuff..

you can get 5 litres of standard spec fully synthetic for absolute buttons and your top ups will be mundo cheap..

ide try a 5w 30 or a 5w 40 oil..

i do interim services on mine with standard bmw spec oil in between main intervals as i am not a fan of 15k+ service intervals using long life is a waste of money and oil..
    I've always fully serviced (inspection II every time) the car every 10K or 12months, whichever 1st. I could lower the interval I suppose but I think it may be a lost cause. I'm hoping to do some investigating this next weekend.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Paddy's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    320i E46 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sprintman View Post
    unlikely to be seals. Check CCV etc.
    Already changed CCV mate. Cleaned out all pipes as they're all still in good condition although they were all pretty clear anyway. It seemed to work for a while but the consumption has steadily increased again.

BMW Master
    Car Details
    IFFY's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    check thoroughly for oil leaks and also check the oil filter unit. This is the whole big part that bolts to the engine. There notourious for leaks. However if this is the case you will see evidnce of this at the bottom of the engine.

11. Replacing Valve Seals 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    bingbang's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    325 Ci M Sport
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    Hi Paddy,

Did you ever resolve the issue with the excessive oil consumption by replacing the valve seals?

I'm now having the same issue, smoke on startup and topping up a litre every 4-500 miles

Again, I've replaced the CCV, done an Forte engine flush and used the Forte Oil Fortifier and topping up with Castrol 10w 40 oil. Still no better at all.

Thanks,
    Stuart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast