BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2001 E46 316i - parking aid not beeping

21K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  JBUK 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi

Just bought a BMW 316i Petrol (Year:2001), its parking sensors not beeping at all. I have checked all the 4 sensors are fine but just the beeping or buzzing noice is not coming.

I have replaced the builtin Radio/CD palyer with a DVD player, could that be a reason?
I have checked the fuse for Parking aid and that is fine too.

Please guid me what to do or how can i fix the sensor beeing?

Many thanks for your time.

JB

#2 ·
Hi, is your car an e36 shape or e46? Changing the headunit on an E36 won't affect the operation of the PDC. I don't think it would affect it on an E46 either tho. Has your PDC ever worked? i.e. has it suddenly stopped working after you swapped out your headunit or hasit never worked since owning it?

#3 ·
hi CharleyNokia, thanks for your reply.

Its E46 shape and parking sensors never worked on it ever since i bought it. PDS never worked on my car. I have tested the sensors; I put the car in reverse and went out side and hear the clicking noise coming from all of them. That means sensors are fine but when I reverse the car against a wall and make sure its only 2 inches away from the wall, there is no beeping or buzzing inside the car. BC button on the top of the indicator stick in not working either (on board computer); but all other lights on the dashboard are fine and its showing the time.

Is it something wrong with the BC button and that’s why the sensors are not beeping?

I appreciate your time and help.

#4 ·
I had this on my car e46 330i one minute it was working next minute nothing, it could either be the gong situated on drivers side above from accelerator pedal(looks like a speaker you cant miss it.
sometimes people unplug them from the gong as the constant beep in reverse when a sensor or sensors pack up annoys them.
Or the module which is on drivers side in the boot above battery.
To test put it in reverse with ignition on but dont start car if you still hear clicking noise from sensors the chances are its the gong at the front if there is no clicking at all from any of them it could be the module,mine were still clicking.got one from quarry motors on here for £10 works great now easy to fit too.hth

#5 ·
Thanks for your reply alanelf, there is lot of information in your reply and that makes sense. I will test the gong and the module in the boot.

I have tested all the sensors and they were all making “clicking” noise.

I will update this post tonight. Thanks again.

#6 ·
Thanks Parking aid is now working.

Thanks for your help guys.

Parking sensors and BC button (on board computer) is now working fine. What I have done is replaced the fuse #10 (5 amp) and parking sensors and BC started working.

One issue is now that I see the Air Bag light is on in the dashboard and I don’t know why? How can I get rid of that?

#7 ·
To reset an airbag light you will need a special airbag tool or a trip to a garage with one. If you haven't done anything that could trip the light (dicsonnect airbag, remove seats etc...) the I would buy a tool. You can diagnose the fault yourself, fix it and then clear the codes and reset the light. The trip for a code read and then going back to reset it after you fix the fault will cost you anywhere from £60 to £100 depending what the garage charge. For this you may as well buy a tool and have it for the future :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.