BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 e46 328ci missing lambda sensors(FIXED)

2K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  xXxStKxXx 
#1 ·
Right. I have had my engine management light on for the past fortnight. I have had the codes checked and it came up it was my 02 sensors bank 1 and bank 2. No problem so far. Went out and bought 2 new sensors, researched online and where they were (thanks to bimmerdiy).

Went out to the car and no sensors. The car runs fine but the light is getting on my t*ts. Will this do any damage? Confused aint the word.

Thanks john

#4 ·
it runs fine and the economy is great. Sounds a bit wierd when its started from cold (sounds like the exhaust blowing but its not).

Wierd thing is i have a receipt from the previous owner for replacing two lambda sensors but they aren't there?

#14 ·
Unfortunately not a lot of information out there..:frown So far I have read that its advisable to change all 4 at the same time and that the only difference between the front and rear sensors is the length of the cable.Also that they just screw in so you would need a spanner to undo them.....Maybe if you are willing to give it a go then you could post up a how-to when you have done them :thumbsup I'll keep on trying to find something though

#15 ·
Oh right. Yea im having trouble finding anything thats relevant to where mine are. Loads of info with them on top of the manifold.

I'm not the type of mechanic that you would want to do a write up lol. Anything that is in the way i take apart and worry about it later haha.

I have the lambda sensor socket to get them out properly. I'm gonna have a crack at it tomorrow and see how far i get.

Thanks a lot for the help. This is why i joined a forum and it's paid off a couple of times already.

#18 ·
I think I have the same problem, I recently purchased mine and the engine management light is nearly always on, I was told it could be these sensors, I do also seem to be using alot of fuel but not sure if this is normal for the car im driving, car drives lovely apart from using alot of fuel, how much would I be looking if it was the sensors?

#20 ·
Right mine are in and working and the light has turned itself off. Yippee lol

First off it is a pig of a job with very little access so it will take some patience.I had to undo the sensors through the oil sump flap.Rather tricky. It didnt take any fancy tools just a 22mm ring spanner. Good luck to anyone trying this and thanks to stk for thr hrlpful advice.

John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.