BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

2000 323ci Top end rattle ........

553 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gav2504 
#1 ·
Hi, I have a 2000 323ci Over the last month or so i've developed a rattle. It was intermittent at 1st but now seems to be constant. I got round to looking at it today and it seems to be coming from the top end. Slightly rev it and you can hear air being sucked in towards the rear of the engine ....... Is this normal?

I also checked the oil which was ok. Then took off the oil filler cap and found white sludge on the cap and on the cover just inside the cap. There was also a couple of droplets of water visible. Otherwise it was bone dry.
There doesn't appear to be any oil leaks.
I then checked the coolant and that appeared to be empty! Although it wasn't empty just needed topping up.
I haven't checked the coolant for 6 months or so ..... So could just be coincidence.
It only took about half a litre to fill up and after going for a short drive it's still full.
I instantly suspected blown head gasket although the car runs fine........ Maybe a bit sluggish at low revs but otherwise completely normal.

The temperature guage is halfway at normal operating temperature

Is there any way other than blown head gasket for water or coolant to enter the engine?

I'm going to start stripping it down tomorrow any useful info would be great. Thanks guys :cool

See less See more
#2 ·
If the coolant hasnt dropped then it cant be the head gasket. If only doing short journeys then these things cream up a treat. A good long run where it gets super hot should cure it!

No matter how nervous you get, it cant be the HG if the coolant level isn't dropping.

The top end rattle is likely to be a worn vanos. Hard to know without actually being there and hearing it!

#3 ·
Thanks mate :thumbsup Haven't had a chance to have a good look yet. I'll whip a few bits off later today and see if I can find anything out the norm. The car is used mainly for shortish journeys to be honest although gets a good run a couple of times a week.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.