Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    Ok been having ongoing problems with my cooling system but getting less and less frequent thankfully since ive been replacing parts etc, got round to doing the thermostat today after ordering one from ecp to find that at some point someone has gutted the thermostat housing and used some pretty poor blanck silicone to seal it up, could this actually cause it to overheat thru negative pressure etc as i know these have some form of sensor for the ecu on this type posssibly electrically controlled? Everything else has been done now as well as the head checked time and time again so hopefully this problem is sorted but im curious what effects removing a thermostat would do if the ecu has something to do with it.

p.s. i have the m43 engine same setup as the e46 i believe?
    Last edited by hagler; 04-01-2012 at 20:46.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    hagler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    ok guys some more icing for the cake for me, drove to work today only about 11 miles, about 2/3 miles away and the temp starts creeping up to the 3/4 mark and went straight back down, thought to myself "ok maybe just a little air trapped in the system as it usually does this just after i bleed it so thought nothing of it. About 3hrs later while on break i thought id go check my coolant level, opened the bonnet to find everything soaking (not best pleased as only detailed it yesterday) and the top hose had blown off and dumped all my coolant all over my pretty engine bay. When i looked at it i realised it had blown off from the push fit connection which is most probably me not clicking it in properly yesterday :( so i tried to push it back on but it wouldnt go all the way on but would allow the catch to go down as if it was locking so i took the fitting off the head and the coolant pipe and went back into work and poured hot water over the pipe side to make it expand slightly and it went on, put it all back on the car got as much water in as i could with out it being on ramps and left it. finished work at 8 came out started it up and everything was fine, 5 yards down the road my clocks die. No petrol guage, speedo, rev counter and to my utter terror the temp guage too. All the lights were working and the miles were still clocking up but no needles. Stopped the car turned it off got out locked it and tried it, NO change :(. Thought id chance it for a few miles and get out and check everything quick and let a little pressure out of the system. Got back in and magically clocks were working again, all the way home temp didnt budge from half way point. Got home thought id have a quick look and the bottom hose and thermostat housing were ice cold and the top hose was boiling. Now my worrys are these
    1- That ive got another faulty thermostat
    2- That my car is now just air locked and once bled the thermostat will start working properly
    3- When that hose blew off (im guessing while parked) the engine could of cooled to quickly and finally damaged the head
    4- When the hose blew off it soaked something causing my clocks to go faulty temporarily
    5- There is some deep rooted problem with the cooling system that im over looking

Im really sorry to waffle on guys but this problem really is getting the better of me with the cooling system its had new rad, water pump, rad cap, thermostat and hoses, its been pressure tested, block tested and compression tested all of which came back fine and bled more times than ive been laid lol. As you can guess finding this problem is turning into a serious money pit and it needs to stop so i can get onto other things and i just dont know where to start now. :cry

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    hagler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    ok so found out how the thermostat works, there is a heating element inside it that the ecu can trigger when it needs to apparently. But my question is this, does it still work like a conventional thermostat aswell or is it purely controlled by the ecu? my reason for asking this is that the old one was removed for a reason, yes i kno it had an overheating problem but maybe there is a fault and the ecu wasnt telling it to open. Im still baffled how it can overheat tho with no thermostat, new water pump, rad, hoses, rad cap, compression test fine, block test fine, coolant pressure test fine and bled properly???? Am i missing something stupid?
    Izit cos i compact?

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    hagler's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    316i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    manual
    Car Body Type:
    compact
    Thanks
    FINALLY FIXED!!! After changing my entire cooling system including a genuine thermostat and a s/h fan its finally fixed no more wandering temp guage or strange behaviour. I think basically one part failing put pressure on the others and causing them to fail shortly after Mods you can close this if you like and i promise not to bother you good people about my cooling system anymore lol.
    Izit cos i compact?

BMW Maestro
    Car Details
    Prince's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318is
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Coupe
    Thanks
    I just read all of that and was going to suggest a genuine thermostat but glad you got it sorted mate!
    BMW: The Ultimate Driving Machine