BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1998 E36 318is clutch problem

2K views 11 replies 5 participants last post by  badj 
#1 ·
hi,ive had my car for a few months now but i think i need a new clutch but not sure,it pulls away fine and the gears change fine but when i give it a bit (over taking :hihi) i go into 3rd upto around 5500rpm (by this point im past the other car) then into 5th and i get a crunch nothing to bad, like the one you get on a bike if you dont use the clutch.its fine if i go into 4th then slow down then into 5th as it only happens at high rpm.
do you think i need to get a new clutch? or is it something else?
thanks

#10 ·
I aint driven my coupe for a while but I know that it does it at high revs from 2nd to 3rd or 1st to 2nd, cant remember which. Got a feeling that it would benefit from a gear oil change....lifetime my arse.

Reason why i think so is when i bought it i checked the water and it was a tad low so I said to the fella 'got any water, the coolant's a bit low', he disappeared off and came back and said 'I haven't got any gear oil here mate'.. hmm.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.