BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 e36 m3 petrol flap locking not working?

5K views 31 replies 7 participants last post by  747_727 
#1 ·
My petrol flap lock isnt working when locking the car is this a common problem? Any tips on solving/removing locking mechanism etc? Thanks.

#2 ·
Mine is doing the same.. i can see the pin trying to move when i lock/unlock the car but it doesnt come out.. I could do with some answers too :)

#4 ·
Ah i didnt realise it was that accessible :) Ill have a look at that tomorrow. Thanks :D

#8 ·
Have you got aftermarket alarms?
if so they wont work the petrol flap solenoid, you need to run 2 wires from your alarm module. one wire tapped into closure with an inline diode to either pin 4 or 17 on the ZKE module and another wire from opening wire with an inline diode to either pin 4 or 17 on the ZKE module

#9 ·
This is why I asked if it worked using the key in the door !

But 747_727 mentioned that it used to work, then stopped - So can't be alarm related.

And Daler said he can see the pin trying to move when locking, which again, suggests it's not alarm related.

#10 ·
Mine has an aftermarket alarm but the central locking doesn't work on the key, only the alarm hon but yeah, as stated I can see mine trying to move. I'm guna have a hunt with wd40 tomorrow. No time this morning :-(

#12 ·
I did ask further up in the thread if the flap lock when using the key !!
This would have shown up the fault as being alarm related...

So for now, your car is not double locked, and your petrol flap will flap about until you get it get it wired up properly, unless you use the key aswell.

Not quite sure what mlouie2000 is doing with that... But what the ZKE requires is a Lock and Unlock pulse at the same time to activate double lock (which locks the petrol flap)... You need a diode to join the lock to the unlock wires.

#16 ·
I'll have a look into it mate, as I believe'd that you bridge the lock to the unlock with a diode, and when you send a lock pulse, it also sent a pulse to the unlock at the same time, which the ZKE interprets as double lock !

As a temp' measure, if you want to double lock with the alarm (which also locks the petrol flap), then lock the car with the alarm fob, then just turn the key in the door to the lock position, which will set the double lock.

If you have window closure, then make sure the windows are up, as when you turn the key in the door, it stops the windows closing, and you'll have to hold the key in the lock position until they're closed !

#17 ·
Right, it looks like you need connector X13253.

Pin 4 - Input, Data Signal - Anti-Theft control module
Pin 13 - Input, Central Arrest Signal - Door lock switches
Pin 17 - Input, Data Signal - Anti-Theft control module

From what I can gather OEM alarms work by sending a pulse on Pin 13 + 17 at the sametime, but with an aftermarket alarm, you need to bridge Pin 4 + 17 with a diode.

But as neither are labeled as lock or unlock, I can't figure out which way around the diode needs to be.

#21 ·
Pin 4 - Input, Data Signal - Anti-Theft control module - UNLOCK
Pin 13 - Input, Central Arrest Signal - Door lock switches
Pin 17 - Input, Data Signal - Anti-Theft control module - LOCK

So, you want a diode going from Pin 17 to Pin 4, so when you press lock on the remote central locking button, it pulses down the unlock too, which will double lock it :thumbsup

#22 ·
Ok, i did mine this morning and now my petrol flap works with my aftermarket alarm
so the conclusion is.......

04/97 onwards, the ZKE plug is violet, before this date it is yellow.
you need to bridge a diode between the lock (pin 17)& unlock(pin 4) wires.
pin 4 is unlock, colour of wire is blue/red/yellow
Pin 17 is lock, colour of wire blue/yellow (on my 05/98)could be white/red/yellow on earlier cars.
hope this helps others

#30 ·
mine only locks through the boot lock recently had a new random barrel fitted so for some reason wont lock
sorry to hijack thread any ideas anyone.:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.