BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 328i coupe noise from rear

674 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Nik-Gnashers 
#1 ·
Nice weather so had windows open, noticed when cornering left, and in built up area (so any sound from car reflected back to me), a kind of mettalic chafing sound coming from the drivers side rear. Doesnt seem to do it when cornering right.
Car has recently been in for a complete check due to a rattle I had coming from the rear, and garage said nothing wrong with any bushes, any suspension parts, top mounts etc.
Could it be something to do with wheel bearing, brakes or axle ?
Any suggestions gratefully considered.

Just thought, even though it doesnt really sound like tyre rubbing, it is lowered at the back, and tyre tucked under arch a little bit, maybe its catching on inside of arch. My last car was lower though and didnt catch at all hmmm

#4 ·
steve - not sure, but thanks will take it back in and get them to check that. Might even ask for new handbrake shoes, discs, calipers & pads treat the car to some TLC :hihi

prokie - thanks will have a look now, see if thats the cause. EDIT: I can get my fingers (just) between tyre and inner arch all way round, but nice suggestion anyway :thumbsup

Reactions: steve23002
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.