318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Hi

I've been having some issues with the roof (fully automatic) on my car, having been on the forum I've been making some progress but am now a bit stuck again.
    Basically I discovered that the handle under the rear seat had been pulled at some point and the roof motor had disengaged, however the tonneau cover motor didn't seem to have been disengaged, so popped the roof one back in and now I'm at the stage that the front and back bits of the roof open but the tonneau cover doesn't flip up for roof to fold down into the car. Have attached a photo to show how far the roof gets when opening.

I tried pulling the handle again to see if the tonneau cover motor disengaged and it doesn't seem to have done so-it was just the roof motor. The 'claw like' looking hook for the tonneau cover motor moves when the handle is pulled but the motor doesn't seem to move?

Any help/pointers/directions on where to look next would be graetefully recieved as I just want to get it working again!! Also does anyone know if there's a way to manually open the tonneau cover?

Thanks
    Dan

DSC00774.jpg
    Last edited by danharwood; 05-07-2011 at 20:07. Reason: title correction

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    Abenstein's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    328i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    just a quick check as ive had a similar problem, the bar in the roof that runs along the top of the rear window, operate the roof to the point where the cover should open then see if you can phisicaly move that bar any further forward (no force should be required just see if it needs a little help). If it does need moving forward and the tonneau cover opens then it may be what mine was (a stretched tension strap in the roof). beyond that it could be one of the position sensors or switches. To disengage my motor i had to give it a little persuasion with a long bar and a tap with a hammer then it popped off.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Abenstein For This Useful Post:

danharwood (07-07-2011)

BMW Crazed
    Car Details
    supercass1's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    convertible

Thanks
    The problem I had with mine was that the tonneau motor didn't re engage properly, it looked like it had but the cogs hadn't quite caught, and needed a bit of assistance. The other thing to check is that the boot is shut properly as the circuit will be broken if it isn't shut (intentionally so, to prevent a rising tonneau cover damaging an open boot). If I recall correctly there is a process to reset the the top electrics after the release button has been operated, and I'm sure it will be available somewhere on the forum. supercass1

6. The Following User Says Thank You to supercass1 For This Useful Post:

danharwood (07-07-2011)

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    danharwood's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Cheers guys will give both of these things a look tomorrow!

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    danharwood's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    318i
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Automatic
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Abenstein View Post
    just a quick check as ive had a similar problem, the bar in the roof that runs along the top of the rear window, operate the roof to the point where the cover should open then see if you can phisicaly move that bar any further forward (no force should be required just see if it needs a little help). If it does need moving forward and the tonneau cover opens then it may be what mine was (a stretched tension strap in the roof)
    Tried this after work today and the tonneau cover opened and the roof goes down and up as it should. Several hours of motoring and several hood operations later we're still going strong! Right so now to get the tension straps sorted!
    Cheers!

9. Another tonneau cover problem 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    AlphaX's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    323ic
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Convertible

Thanks
    Hi,

I got the problem with the tonneau cover - the led at the switch keeps blinking even tough the top is fully retracted and the cover is closed. But then I cannot open the top again - the emergency lever only disengages one motor, the other one (cover) is stuck under a lot of tension. I have to hammer the motor out reengage it and then the top works fine until I decide to retract it and close the cover again. I already replaced the motor and I am wondering whether the Convertible Top module could be faulty since the motor doesn't seem to know when to stop - the cables to the latches have been replaced already and when I move the tonneau cover manually the rest works just fine