BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 316i touring. ABS ECU location?

7K views 8 replies 2 participants last post by  scrotee 
#1 ·
Hi,

I have my ABS warning light up on the dash.

I'm trying to locate the ECU. My TIS says its behind the glove box (which it aint) & I've also checked drivers side (which it still aint). I've also been told it could be attached to the pump as in this pic.

Auto part Diagram Automotive lighting Automotive window part Automotive engine part

I've looked under the bonnet and It looks like it could well be attached to the pump (It has P/N 34 51 1 164 047). Is this the ECU?

Thanks for your help.

See less See more
#8 ·
I think you might have ASC+T if you can't find anything inside the car, and it will be on the ABS pump, but all of the pumps have a solenoid block with an electrical connector, just some have the electronics in there too.

That said, I didn't think ASC+T was about in 1997, is was a fairly new idea that isn't seen on too many E36s (the extra +T means it does individual wheel braking, unlike the more common ASC which will just cut engine power)

#9 ·
I think you might have ASC+T if you can't find anything inside the car, and it will be on the ABS pump
Think I must have.....just been and read the label on the pump (P/N 34-51-1-164-047) which there are a few of on Ebay and they look like it could be right.

Hopefully be able to just change the black box over rather than pump as well.

pinkies crossed :silly

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.