BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1997 E36 316i cooling system blown!

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  plumhead 
#1 · (Edited)
In a nutshell my sons 316 compact overheated on the way to my house yesterday. Went bang, steam everywhere and he pulled over. Now here's the weird bit. Just what the hell are all those lengths of what look like spiral pasta that have blown out of the side of the radiator housing!!!???? :confused

They are about 12 inches long and look like fuesli (the twisted pasta, they are nylon / plastic and are the same colour as uncooked pasta)

Sorry if this is a stupid question but Ive never seen anything like it.

Cheers guys

#5 ·
Sparky...you need to ammend the title to 1993 E36 316 Overheated and now strange radiator problem (the guide to do this is in my signature).... thanks
I would do it for you but i'm not a moderator in this section of the forum

#9 ·
Wish it was a wind up. There's lengths of this stuff all over the place. Some of it even shattered into lots of little bits and went everywhere.
The guy from the AA said he had never ever sen anything like it before and it must be the inside of the radiator! This stuff is tough - I mean really tough. Its like its made out of a heat resistant sort of nylon.
Surely to christ someone in here knows what this stuff is and where it came from. Ive been investigating on Google - does the expansion chamber have anything inside it?

#10 ·
Sparky, is it definately plastic/nylon and not the radiator core ?

BTW, reading this thread gave me all sorts of temptations to write, its your 'Fusilli box' and your radiator is 'pasta it'. Sorry...back to trying to help now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.