BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 e36 328i touring 180,000 miles?

Tags
3K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  ben_facer 
#1 ·
I have been looking for a 328i touring and have come across one local at quite a good price. Only thing is it's done 180,000 miles.
Garage recons it's "Genuine miles" mostly motorway, with service history. I'm going to go have a look at it hopefully tommorow just wondering if that millage is a bit OTT for the 328? Read about the horror stories of threds stripping in the block on head gasket changes!

#4 ·
Well it's advertised at £975, but think they've had it a while so might be able to get them down a bit.
I have been looking for a while but there's nothing around this end of the country (the good old north!), or anywhere atm! I don't mind travelling a bit but think 200 miles is a bit far.
What I'm wanting to know is if there are any inherent problems with the 2.8 at this sort of millage? And the gearbox/diff? I know the suspension will be worn/have been changed, but I don't mind changing/uprating the suspension and bushes after purchase if needs be.

#6 ·
Unless it has a full properly documented history (invoices, not just a stamps in the book) I'd say wait a bit. I got a 98 325TDS touring auto with full sports leather, full wood kit, climate, full OBC and only 88k on the clock for £1500. There is a 328 Touring out there for you at the right price and location so be patient! Remember to search for "touring", "tourer" and "estate" when looking on the web.

#8 ·
Its all swings and round-abouts!!

the advice from the guys is sound, of course

i myself bought what i considered to be a very high mileage 328 tourer on ebay. its 1996 P, manual, silver and had 167000 on the clock. but came with FULL service history and invoices/reciepts to a total of £8k since new!

it also has a very nice set of 16inch E46 wheels and came with the original 328 sport wheels. its got the M50 inlet manifold conversion with the 325 throttle body, full cold air induction KN airfilter and has been remapped, reciepts to prove it. i paid £1400.............and finally it has full closure TOAD alarm, lowered suspension and came with the original standard airfilter box plus thottle body and inlet manifold!!!!

so if you're getting a 'good deal' the mileage probably isnt a major concern.

the nikasil matter, could be a concern though, but id have thought it would have killed the engine by now

give it a go and see what happens!!

#10 ·
Thanks for the advice. Think I will leave it for now, I am used to having to wait for things so think I can manage to wait a little longer :(

blacfist yours sounds like my ideal spec! Do you fancie selling it? Got a nice 318is coupe i could throw in to sweeten the deal ;)

#12 ·
haha,

no thanks Ben!! the car runs very very well and hasnt given me a single significant problem. think ill hold onto it a bit longer

but, keep your eyes open, these cars come around quite regularly so i really dont think it will take long for you to find what your after

all the best
bf

#15 ·
That does look nice, cheers Billy.
Only problem is it has cloth interior. The reason I'm getting a touring is that I have a labrador retreaver and am sick of all the hairs all over the seats! So if I can manage to get a touring with leather I won't have that problem, even if the hairs blow through from the back (he's molting very badly at the moment!)

*Just noticed it dosn't have climate control either, I'm bein picky I know, but I like my toys :)

#19 ·
Thanks for that Billy, looks good. Emailed him and he says it got no service history. Requested some more pics of the rusty bits, but not had them yet.

Unfortunatly been taking a closer look at my finances and we a proper scraping the bottom of the barrel at the min! So going to wait to change the motor as if I do it now the missis will talk me into being "sensable" and buying something boring and cheap to run! Being a poor student sucks!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.