BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 328i Electric roof stuck down

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  billywhizz1984 
#1 ·
Hi Guys

I know there are a lot of post about electric roof problems but i cant find one that covers my problem.

The problem is i put the roof down yesterday for the first time in approx 4months and now it wont go back up.

I have checked the fuses, and they appear OK, I have resorted to pulling the release lever to disengage the motors but the top storage cover remains closed.

I have attempted to pull on the bowden cables inside the boot in hope it will release the latches on the cover but i don't think i was able generate enough tension.

Any help or suggestions would be much appreciated as we don't really have the weather for the roof to remain down.

Thank you in advance

Russell

#3 ·
i also have a softop

try putting the roof down again it might be something simple like it hasnt completed its cycle properly?? alternately i had a similar prob with mine and it was because there's a sensor in amongst the roof itself the wont let it go up or down if it thinks the boot it open as it will obviously make a mess on the roof, if the sensor is dodgy then it may think the boot is open or something??worth a look, its on the drivers side underneath the hook parts the pull the flap down tight. hope this helps Ryan ;)

#4 ·
Thanks for the suggestions ...

The problem was the roof wouldn't go back up, it was down and stowed away all night luckily i have a cover.

Put the key in the ignition again tonight and the light flashed on the button, pressed it and the cover popped open.

I don't know what the problem was yesterday but was able to get the roof out tonight.

I have a new problem now however ...

I cant get the roof to connect to the windscreen ( the roof is too rigid) and if I try to put it back the cover wont lock in place again.

Its booked in to change the tyres tomorrow think i'm gonna have to strap the roof down and and get a pro to look at it.

Russell

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.