BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1996 E36 318i touring questions

849 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  baldchris 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I am completely new to both BMWs and this forum, so please forgive me if I appear green or just plain stupid.

I bought a very cheap E36 318i touring, which is in great condition and has done 124k.

The car came with very little in terms of paperwork and I was wondering whether anyone could help me with a couple of questions please?

Firstly, can anyone tell me whether my car would have a passenger airbag

Secondly, I have a 'whirring' motor sounding intermitendly, which coincides with a slight vibration on the brake pedal. Anyone got any ideas what this could be and any possible remedies please?

Cheers
BaldChris

#2 ·
It's very unlikely that it will have a passenger airbag as they were not a popular option. I've attached a pic of an American M3. The passeneger airbag is under the panel on top of the dash. If yours doesn't look like this then you don't have an airbag.

Vibration through the brake pedal suggests work discs or worn suspension bushes. the whirring motor sound could be the ABS unit.

#4 ·
My 1996 E36 325tds Touring does not have a passenger air bag:thumbsup

'whirring' motor sounding intermitendly, which coincides with a slight vibration on the brake pedal.
Can this vibration be felt anywhere else? Do the revs hunt up and down at all? Does it only doing when the car is stationery/in motion/or both? Do you even think it's brake related or is this just where the vibration can be felt?

Also, does it become any worse when you turn the steering?

Sorry for all the questions:D

:thumbsup

#5 ·
Thanks for all your responses.

I've now established that my car doesn't have a passenger airbag - obvious I guess, but the text on the inside of my windscreen started me thinking.

In terms of the vibration in the brake pedal - it doesn't affect the revs or vibrate through the steering wheel. The motor whirring noise was coming on when both stationary and in motion. I have replaced both of the ABS relays in the hope that it will have the desired effect and I'll see. It's definitely brake related and I'm 99.9% sure it is to do with the ABS system. It's almost like it constantly does a self-test every 30 seconds or so.

The ABS lights don't come on and I know they're working as they lit when I removed the relays, not having a BMW before, I just wondered a) whether this was normal and/or b) if not, is this more likely to be the sensors or the ABS control unit.

It's all a bit Scooby Doo, but I'll get back once I get to the bottom of the mystery!

Cheers all

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.