BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 328i coupe- how low can i go? hottuning coilovers lowering advice

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  ontheball247 
#1 ·
hi guys, made an order on the hottuning coilovers, and considering dropping my car to the floor. but just how low can i go?
ive got 17" M3 wheels, with 225 tyres upfront and 245's on rear.
would love to drop it to the floor...not too fussed about ride comfort (or i wud hav bought a merc), or bumps etc, since they're jus a matter of a little patience :hihi, but the outside walls of the tyres (rear tyres especially) seem pretty close to the insides of the wheel arches.
appreciate any advice.

Baz

#2 ·
by the way, there is another thread on this, but i was looking for more feedback from owners with M3 wheels who've tried lowering their cars.
The other thread was started by black beauty, so black beauty, if you read this, do you know the offset,etc of your wheels, as well as your tyre sizes?

#3 ·
You will probably only be able to lower the front by 40mm max as after that your wheel will foul the coilover and will require a 3-5mm spacer to gain the required clearance to go lower.

StK also has M3 wheels fitted to his E36 and I don't believe he has had any concerns at all:thumbsup

#5 ·
it depends on the offset of the wheels especially for the front wheels
im running a set of 7.5" 328 sport wheels (et41) with the hottuning coilovers and at the lowest setting and its bloody close
the original wheels (style 27s et47) would not fit when the car was lowered but when the suspension was at its highest setting the would just go on and no more
as for the tyres you will get away with 225s all round as long as the rear arches have been rolled
i have had my rears done but not the fronts as there is enough room to fit the wheels with the suspension settings
i fitted a set of 205/40s to the front to create some more room and the same is going to get put on the rear when the time comes

#8 ·
As Rym says :thumbsup
I don't have a problem although I do have an M3 set-up.M3 shocks,springs,wheels etc...So not sure what differences there are to the standard set-up however I do know that Steve23002 slammed his on the hottuning coilovers and as Rym says it only caught on the front when slammed and required spacers to sort this out :thumbsup

#10 ·
Yep, mines slammed approx 60mm, the front tyre is level with the arch now. Could go lower but like said above I couldnt get off the drive....:hihi
I ended up not having to use spacers because of the offset of my wheels, now running 215/40 17 tyres. They are fookin close but dont rub...:thumbsup

#11 ·
I purchased hottuning coilovers a couple of months ago - dropped onto M3 wheels (225/245) approx 60mm on the front and 45mm on the back and have no issues at all!

Sits nice and handles like a dream!

The only problem I've had with it being slammed is that certain garages struggle to get it on their ramps... Kwik-Sh*t even shooed me off their forecourt

#12 ·
lol i have the same M3 alloy's as oliver and i was wondering if I lowered it 40mm all around with my 235/40 at front and 255/40 rear (both 17's) if the wheels would touch the arches. i knwo the suspension is going to ahve to be pretty stiff but i am koll with that my dad has a 99 911 convertable and that thing is as stiff as stone and i love it handles great.

#13 ·
thanks alot for your help guys. i'll see wat i can do for spacers in the front then. Even if i can manage to cover the tops of the tyres (and still manage to get out the drive like that), i'll be a happy man. Soon as i get hold of the top shock mounts, they'll be goin on the car, and updates, n pics will be posted.
Baz.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.