BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1995 E36 323i coupe - electric windows probelm

2K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  chesh12 
#1 ·
no idea if this is common or not but

Passenger side is 1 touch down but not 1 touch up you have to hold it to wind it up. Drivers side is not 1 touch down, you have to hold it going down which is no problem, but going up if you hold it, again no 1 tough winding up, it will go up about 4 inchen then automaticall start going down again, it will only go all the way up if you do it in little stages. there's no problems wiht opening and closing the doors though, it is something to do with a sensor somewhere or is it the electric window control box? and if it;s the control box where is it so I can check it for breaks etc?

Thanks

#2 ·
Hi Jay, yes it's a fairly common problem. I can't remember all about it, and no doubt someone else will jump in and give you an answer. I think though, the one touch problem, the windows just need reprogramming. I also believe there is a magnet or some such thing attached to the window motor in each door, and they tend to move, which in turn, then stop the windows from closing properly. The good news, is that there is a fix for it, I just can't remember what it is. Come on guys and girls, help me out here!

#4 ·
yayyyy, someone let us know, they do close porperly all the way just blumming annoying and I assume they should all be one touch up and one touch down? then if you only want it open a little bit you hold the button down?

#5 ·
I have this with my passenger door my 1 touchs are fine but my passenger winder goes so far up and stops and goes back down and the only real soution for that is a new window motor and with the switchs try swapping the round and if you drivers gets 1 touch down get new switches

#8 ·
there is a how to guide on bimmerforum.com there is a red bush on the back of the motor that comes loose and causes this

#9 ·
can anyone find this guide, I've had a search but can't find much. surely it's fixable without having to replace the motors cos the motors work, it's to do with relays or sensors somewhere that are causing it to stop going up and go down instead.

#10 ·
Cant wait for an answer for this.. Mine is doing the same lol. Fine down but wont auto up.. I was going to take the door cards off and lubricate the sliding mechanism cuz i thought the motors might work on torque. Too much torque (Some ones head stuck in the window) Will trigger the motor to reverse. Seeing as its an old car i thought it might just be a bit stiff? If i grab the glass and pull it up it will go all the way to the top with 1 touch.

#12 ·
hmm it's worht giving them a clean but I dont see how that could be the problem as they don't seem to get stuck anywhere going up or down and it's not always the same spot it automatically decides it wants to go down again at either...

#13 ·
bump.. any news on this I've not taken it apart yet to clean...

#15 ·
ok if I get chance at the weekend I'll whip the doorcards off and get soem silicone grase down there.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.