BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1994 e36 325 tds starter overhaul

952 views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  bmw_sunderland 
#1 ·
has anyone done this before as my starter is part of my starting issue as its draining the battery when it been stood a while as it so stiff to turn over. does anyone know of replacement brush kits etc that are around or will i have to find some that are similar and make them suit.

regards mick

#2 ·
I had an xr4i years ago that would turn slowly and give the appearance of worn brushes.

Once taken apart the brushes checked out ok,the main motor was/had got damp inside and rusted up.I just got the wire brush out and cleaned it all up and it was then back to normal.

This may be the case with yours,the motor if damp inside is basically shorting out when used and giving the battery a very hard time.

#3 · (Edited)
According to Online-ETK the same starter was used in the following so you should be able to get one from a breakers. A guy in Backworth has two E36 Diesels in at the moment.

New Part No: 12 41 9 069 808
Old Part No: 12 41 2 246 574

E36 325TD & TDS (M51)
E34 524TD & TDS (M21)
E34 525TD &TDS (M51)
E39 525TD &TDS (M51)
E38 725TDS (M51)
E30 324D & TD (M21)
E28 524D & TD (M21)

#5 ·
ive took the starter off and me old man stripped it down for me and bushes are totally shot and main spindle needs a skim on the lathe so took it too a local engineers place and hopefully gunna cost £20 to have it done as were stripped it and rebuilding it ourselves :cool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.