BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1994 E36 318is - "thunk" going over bumps following coilover install

Tags
thunk
1K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Aus318is 
#1 ·
Put in some Raceland coilovers some weeks back now. Required a bit of adjustment to get the best balance between low and harsh, but am now happy with it. See attached pic

View attachment 8631

On passenger side rear though, I hear a muted "thunk" when traversing bumps. Took off wheel, checked bottom 18mm bolt and removed the boot lining to check that I properly did up the top mounts (which were replaced and included the Z3 strengthening plate) - all good.

I am turning my attention to the bushes. What are the likely suspects and how hard are they to replace?

thanks

#2 ·
hi mate....i do no thats the rtab are a common thoing on these cars..i personally would fit poly bushes on the back.for certain reason..1.being you can do this yourself with no tools required as the tool to fit the rtabs are expensive. 2. they will last longer.saving you money in the long run.and being a rear will drive car it will be abit tighter with poly bushes.

#3 ·
I had the same symptoms on my car, also turned out to be the rear trailing arm bushes.

It's around £50 for the bushes, fitting is awkward but doable - but afterwards (assuming it is caused by your rtabs) you should have your 4-wheel alignment done. :thumbsup

Reactions: Aus318is
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.