BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1993 E36 325i - steering wheel too heavy?

1K views 1 reply 1 participant last post by  mistreku 
#1 ·
As per title, the steering wheel in my car (1993 E36 325i) feels a bit heavy to turn. Especially if you consider I'm running 205/60/15, and looking to replace them with 225/40/18's soon. I don't even want to imagine how steering will feel after that. :jaw-dropping

So, anyone has any good mods to make the steering lighter? Perhaps E46 steering rack (no idea if it fits). Or more powerful steering pump? :confused Are there any mods for the steering column?

Any suggestions greatly appreciated, as this is annoying the hell out of me.

#2 ·
To whom it may concern, greasing the cross joint under the hood does make things significantly better. I've read something about greasing the lower bearing on the steering column, which again, makes a good difference, but it's pretty hard to reach. Apparently, you have to drill a hole in the steering column, next to the firewall and squeeze some oil through that hole. Didn't have a drill to do it, so it will have to wait.

On the down side, making the steering move easier made me realize I really need wheel alignment, as the toe angle definitely feels out of specs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.