BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

1992 E36 318i - conversion to 6cyl M50 or 6cylM52?

10K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  wolvesdug 
#1 ·
hey guys
i'm new to engine conversions however i've always been keen to get more horsepower from my bmw and now's the time.
My question to you all is whether i should upgrade my current 4cyl M43 engine to a 325i 6cyl M50 or a 328i 6cyl M52.

Other threads say that the M52 is only going to give me one extra horse power than the M50 and i'm guessing that it's a heavier engine so is it worth it in terms of power to weight?

My other dispute is that as my car is a 1992 model and the M52 is a younger engine whether or not the electrics would match up with all this talk of ews and etc.

On the other hand as the M52 is younger, did bmw design it a bit lighter than the M50.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as i'd like to start looking for my new engine.
Thanks in advance:thumbsup

#3 ·
325i has no ews to worry about so would be an easier swop. Standard power output is 192BHP revy engine and pretty buillet proof.

M52 328 engine makes 193 BHP as standard but quite a bit can be done to get more power.

Eiether way you will need gearbox,diff,prop,ECU,engine wiring loom.

May work out cheaper to find a complete rusty 325i for £200-300 and swop all the bits across.

#5 ·
cheers guy
"Standard power output is 192BHP revy engine and pretty buillet proof. M52 328 engine makes 193 BHP as standard but quite a bit can be done to get more power."

What about the 325i engine. In terms of boring out the cylinders and turboing?

Also, are the two engines the same size/weight?

#10 ·
Thanks guys
i've got something to run with now.
time to look at some prices and see what i can get my hands on
seems that getting the gearbox, diff, prop, ECU and the engine wiring loom is going to be the hardest part of the conversion considering everyone wants to sell the engine by itself.
It's really a toss up between the two engines.
leaning towards getting the 2.8 and an M50 inlet manifold(is the manifold able to be bolted onto the existing bolt holes?

Does changing the inlet manifold call for a change in any electricals, loom map ecu etc?

#11 ·
Thanks guys
leaning towards getting the 2.8 and an M50 inlet manifold(is the manifold able to be bolted onto the existing bolt holes?

Does changing the inlet manifold call for a change in any electricals, loom map ecu etc?
Contact Alpina 527 on here and he will give you the low down on a fitting kit e.t.c

This is a pm from Alpina 527 about his kit.

The Bbtb/manifold conversion is designed to remove the restrictions that BMW deliberately built into the M52 2.8 engine. They did this to restrict the power to 193 bhp (the same bhp as the old 2.5 unit). The reason for the restriction is the German insurance market, which penalises cars which have more than 194 bhp. However, the 2.8 has a much better torque figure than the 2.5 unit which is purely down to the extra 300cc’s of the 2.8 litre engine.

This conversion has to be easily the best power per pound that you can buy for the M52 328/323 engine. The engine revs all the way to the redline without any hesitation at all. Where as the standard engine struggles from 4,500 revs.

The kit is unique, in as much as it is a properly engineered kit, designed to give a like for like swap over, with no leaks. The M50 manifold has been machined to accept all the M52 emission control parts. The only extra job needed is a small cut to the fuel rail which takes no more than 2 minutes to do. The matching bbtb and enlarged ASC unit (if fitted) enable the full potential of the engine to be taken care of. Even the existing M52 stabiliser brackets will bolt up in exactly the same way as normal.

It will fit all E36 328s and all E39 528s up until 1998 model. It will also fit he 323 /523 models with similar gains in bhp. It will not fit the later dual Vanos E46 model or the later dual Vanos Z3 and E39 models from 1999 onwards.

The kit takes about 3 to 4 hours to fit. The only downside after installation is the fuel rail cover cut outs don’t quite match the manifold runners, though it is barely noticeable

Power gains are in the region of 20 -25bhp, typically giving around 218bhp on a 328 and around 193bhp on a 323.. Tests have shown that this manifold will flow 275 cfm of air as opposed to the standard 185cfm!

Schrick make a free flow manifold, which costs £900 without the body! The Schrick unit flows 250cfm.

The manifold itself is an extensively re worked second hand M50 manifold. The modified manifold has a new custom made chamber, screwed and bonded into the underside, which houses the idle valve, air sensor, and oil recirculation valve in exactly the same position as the original M52 manifold . The manifold comes
complete with the previously used seals that came with it. Though you might prefer to buy new ones which I can supply.

Also in the kit is a big bore throttle body and if you have 'ASC', a big bore traction control body. These are sold on an exchange basis, where you return your old body or bodies once the kit is fitted. I will also need the plastic chamber from your old manifold that houses the idle valve etc. The manifold comes with a slightly reworked one already fitted. This saves you from modifying your old chamber to fit the custom made chamber housing

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.