BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

Where is the DCS speed sensor located on an E61 520d?

7K views 24 replies 5 participants last post by  m33ufo 
#1 ·
Post diagnostic session at Sytner Cardiff, the service bod initially told me it was located under the passenger seat. I removed the seat and peeled back some carpet - nothing to be found except for a sub-woofer. That's not to say it might not be located close by but it certainly wasn't under the seat.

The most frustrating thing is that the dealer now won't tell me where it's located because they could be liable if I cause a safety related issue on the car. Since it's not working I'm not sure how I can make it any worse?!!

So, hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

It's part number 10 and identified as a speed sensor. I can see the hydro unit bolted close to the wheel arch in the engine bay but I guess it doesn't mean the speed sensor is located close by?

See less See more
#3 ·
The individual sensors are in each hub (same sensor as the ABS sensor) what fault codes is it reporting, you sometimes get some random ones after doing work on the brakes/suspension and get all sorts of dashboard warnings. Mine told me Autostart had been disabled and the dashboard was like a Christmas tree, the other day and I don't evenhave an automatic box. That was after unplugging one of the ABS/DSC sensors to get brake wear sensor out (bits tucked away on the back of an E61), cleared down all the error codes and it went away. If you really want to upset it, try putting it in gear with the rear wheels off the ground, dashboard lights and warnings city :)

Best getting a copy of BMW INPA software and clearing out all the fault codes across the vehicle, then see if there really is a problem.

#8 ·
Dicky ABS sensor connection, go round each one, unplug at the plug connector (no need to remove the actual sensor) clean the contact with electrical cleaner spray and put back together. Then clear down all the fault codes, if it is a pre-LCI I can do that for you, I live in the Forest of Dean and head over to Newport all the time.

Had exactly the same faults on Friday after changing my brake pads, clearing the fault codes down fixed it

#13 ·
And you can tell them since its a speed sensor and not an accelerometer that "under the seat" is an unlikely position to find such a device. It would need to be in a location whereby it stood some chance of measuring something referential to the car's speed eg a wheel hub. Since the DSC relies in part on being able to compare the relative speeds of the wheels that pretty much narrows it down. True enough the parts diagrams don't give a location for the part itself. They do however give a connector location at the control unit so at worst all you need to do is follow the cable from said controller.

I notice Realoem lists these things at $500 a pop. What are they threatening to charge you for all this?

#15 ·
When I removed the seat all I could see was a sub-woofer. Perhaps I should take more of the carpet up and extend my search.

The replacement is around £450 but I've purchased a part form a breakers at £75 and hoping it may resolve the problem. But I still need to find the thing to replace it :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.