BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E61 530d lumpy idle - partially fixed

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  mi1ky 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I've got an E61 530d M Sport which starts up and idles on five cylinders when cold but revs and drives on 6. It used to have an intermittent misfire when warm and idling- a miss every 3 to 5 seconds.

I blanked the swirls off and the miss when warm is totally gone however when cold or warming up it is exactly the same. I know the car is not getting up to temp and have changed the main stat, EGR stat will be done later this week. It is getting to about 80 degrees. Economy isn't too bad at 32.5 MPG mainly town work.

I suspect a bad injector which is lazy/sticking when cold but would appreciate your thoughts/comments if anyone else has had similar experiences. I'm thinking of changing the glow plugs as I've read they work for up to 30 deg to aid combustion but I've also read they don't work unless temp is below 3 deg!

Thanks in advance!

Steve

#2 ·
Yes glow plugs and glow plug module are a common issue on these car. Try putting so injectore cleaner in and see if that might resolve your issue if it is a sticky injector. But if you get a diagnostic done that should pin point the problem. Also when removing the injector be careful they break. Best to do on a warm engine and soak them with wd40 for 5-10min before removing.

#5 ·
No idea on the fuel filter - it's had CBS servicing done by BMW main dealers but all I have is a printout of the mileage when these took place. The service book was lost and replaced and I reckon they just ticked everything - there's no way the microfilters are only 8k old!

I am going to do oil, fuel and air filter next week before trying anything else. I'll report back after this is done.

Can anyone recommend a supplier for injectors? From the part number I believe they are piezo ones and can not be reconditioned.

#6 ·
Do a leak off test before changing an injector, all may be ok with them ? I have just recently changed both thermostats too. I got told if you can blow through the egr thermostat its knackered.

I got my egr thermostat from this guy on ebay, the thermostat which I got look to be an original part for half the price item number : 271299929948

Iv also got my injector which I havent received yet from this man in german on ebay again item number : 111199118690 its a recon bosch and again it was the cheapest bosch I could find and I rang around a few places.

hope it helps anyway

#7 ·
Been going through similar with and e46 330d.

Replace your fuel and air filters first. Following that check smooth running, this should identify an injector. This wasnt conclusive in my case. Removed all 4 and had them tested. 2 were out of spec and 2 were borderline. Replacing all 4 did not fix the issue, however had some mpg gains (mpg is still average, it still idles poorly and it stil misfires)

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.