BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E60 Engine tapping noise -ideas please!

Tags
ideas tapping
1K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Richyroos 
#1 ·
My 530D has 151K on the clock, my indy replaced the cam cover gasket recently, which involves removing the injectors -one was quite tight, and they struggled to remove it. When I collected the car they did say that a new injector might be required - it turns out this same injector was out of spec anyway, and a tapping noise was evident that wasn't there before, so I decide to have the injector replaced.

New injector fitted, the mpg seems to have improved - good news - but the tapping is still there.....it taps at half engine speed, as if it is a duff hydraulic tappet with too wider clearance, but I cant see why that could have happened. Do the vacuum pumps tap when they are worn? Or is there anything else I should look at?

#2 ·
Hydraulic valve lifters should be self adjusting hence they ought not to tap. However sometimes they can get a bit sticky. It was a known issue on the M62s and the fix was a kind of italian tune-up. You just had to rev the thing to a certain number of rpm and hold it there for about 30s in order to bully the adjusters back into life. That being said one loose valve isn't likely to make that much noise. Since its a tractor I'd be listening more closely to the injectors. Get the covers off the top and try and get your ear in close to see if you can localize the noise. Not always easy to tell amidst the cacophony that comes out of those oil-burners. ;)

#4 ·
I thought the injector would fix it - unless another one is faulty in some way. I don't think it is a worn chain guide - it is not that sort of noise, it is a definite tap.

It has just had an oil and filter change, so all should be well in terms of the oil too. You don't hear it inside the car, it is only if you have the window down, a cheap fix would be just to turn the stereo up I suppose!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.