BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

E39 525TDSA transmision/instrument problem

967 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  joakimlt 
#1 ·
Hello! I bought a BMW E39 1997 525 TDS automatic today :) It worked perfectly from where i bought it and home, but when i stopped it it wouldn't crank again :(

What i beleive is the reason, is that in the instrument panel, it says that the trans. is in Drive regardless of whitch gear it's in (P, R, D, S, 3, 2 - they all are the same in the dash) And on the gear indicator next to the shifter, it lights up in the right gear.

I have tried to unplug the battery for 30 min. and i have tried to disconnect/connect the main harness plug next to the shifter on the tranny without that working either

I was desperate for a car, so i sat the car in park, turned on the ignition and shorted the starter manually to get it to crank, then it started right up :) but when i did that, i got a lamp in the dash with a yellow gear, and the charging lamp, but i was able to drive the car, exept for that the tranny was locked in 4-gear i beleive in drive (emergency mode?)

I also tried to rev it up and turn the ignition off/on fast. When i did that, the gear lamp was gone (the charging lamp was still there) but i was not able to reverse and the tranny struggeled to shift gears (i needed really high/low revs for it to shift up/down)

I really hope someone here can give me some help on this! i dont like to use my good old E28 in this bad weather :/

if it helps, the TCS, ABS and brake warning light also stays on the whole time, i beleive it is a ABS sensor or the ABS unit that is broken

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.