E39 525d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Hello there everyone,

This is my first post, so please excuse me if I break any rules!

Right, i've got an 2001 E39 525d SE Touring. It's done 175k miles, FSH, fully loaded apart from Comms Pack and Leathers.

I got this to replace the E34 525 TDS, as wanted something a little more modern, but similar economy / performance. I must say, the E34 felt more solid than this car does!

A few niggles I wish to post up on here, in the hope of getting some replies!

The problem I have is that the fuel economy doesn't seem to be brilliant? I understand that being a Touring, it's a heavier car, so it will drink a little more.

However, a week ago, I filled up 55, and only got 230 miles out of the tank! I wasn't hammering the car, was driving sensibly, around town and on the dual carriageway. The fuel at the time was 1.20 per litre, so that works out to 23mpg! Which is shocking, and I could get way better mpg out of my old 328i Coupe!

It was -2.5 degrees, and the car was smoking a little (normal, I presume in that temp?). I could smell diesel fumes in the cabin, and the mpg on the trip computer fell to the teens! Could it have been bad batch of fuel?

However, since then, the issue seems to have gone, and I have 43+ mpg showing on the trip computer when on a good run. How accurate are the trip computer figures? The economy still doesn't seme brilliant to me...

Also, the car seems to 'hiccup' or hesitate a little at low revs, when accelerating in 1st and 2nd gear?

Intermittently, the Traction Control Light comes on and stays on. Then, on other occasions, ABS / Traction / Brake Warning Lights come on for a few minutes, then disappear.

There are no hot starting / cold starting issues, and the car does not seem to smoke excessively.

I have read various forums, and understand that it can be MAF sensors, Injector Leaks, etc. but, from what I have described, could anyone please point me in the right direction as to what to check / what it can be?

If the fuel economy doesn't approve, then I will keep the E34, as that thing did a genuine 32+ mpg, whilst being hammered!

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by pSyCoSiS; 06-12-2010 at 17:54.

2. Remove Advertisements
    BimmerForums.co.uk
    Advertisements

BMW Fanatic
    Car Details
    liddo's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d SE with Sport Options
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Saloon

Thanks
    Ive had my 525d SE saloon for a few weeks now, but ive hardly done THAT many miles. Ive filled up once, and I got around 500 to that tank, which isnt brilliant either, but i filled up last night, and the comp says 640 to the tank, which id be made up with.

Ive added some Redex Diesel Injector cleaner, as i dont think the cars been serviced to my liking Im going to get the oil changed again, and im getting the vortex breather replaced.

Now, smells in the cabin. If you get a chance, jack the car up on the drivers side, and look directly below the drivers seat. You'll see two flexi pipes, if they are sooty, then they are knackered and need replacing. I was literally getting gassed the other week, feel ill when driving until i found the problem, luckily the dealer sorted the problem out, although i WAS quoted 125.00 for each flexi :(

If its not those, it could be over fuelling from the injectors (so ive heard) Make sure the A is lit up, that for you Auto Recirc in the cabin, it'll keep the smells out.

I LOVE the E39's, but im not impressed with the amount of common faults these cars seem to have. I know they're getting on a bit now, but my last car was a Volvo S60, and the problem threads on the Volvo's site was hardly ever a page long :(

Oh well, Im going to get my car the way i want it (im a picky sod) and see where it takes me

Good luck with your car

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    K beemerzzz's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525 tds
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    automatic
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    i drive a 525 tds e39 with only 133000mls , i use to get around 25-30mpg around town and 40 on motorways but these days its does only 23mpg max around town if am lucky and does only 30mpg on motorway' cant say why , the car just been serviced recently '' mayb the diesel in the tank is freezing up' lol'

I dont really rely on the obc as the max mpg figure i ever got on it was 26mpg' lol'

i believe the 530d is much more better on mpg''

i might sell the 525tds and get a 530d or a 320d soon''

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pSyCoSiS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 525d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks for the replies.

Is it worth getting a Diagnostic done? Might that show up any errors relating to the issue?

6. e39 525d 2003 economy 
    Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    gg1964's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    525d
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    auto
    Car Body Type:
    saloon

Thanks
    I am getting 37 mpg on mixed winter motoring i have measured this between fill ups not the trip computer. This is way down on the summer 45 mpg. It was farworse but i remove fuse 47? in the boot for the Aux heater and this improved things.
    The trip computer is reading 44 mpg.
    The car hase done 130k miles, the mpg seems reasonable compared to some posts.
    Give the fuse a try.

Diamond BFuk Member
    Car Details
    Andyiow's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 525 SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring
    Thanks
    I have a 2001 E39 and and regularly getting 35-40mpg driving around.

It does not like the 'cheap' diesel that much as I do get the hiccupping occasionally if used. I would suggest having the oil sperator filter changed at the next service (or before) to the vortex one.

I use Shell/BP in mine only now and evey 3rd tank put in a bottle of the Wynns injector cleaner as a precaution due to the shortness of the journeys it does.

Bimmer Fan
    Car Details
    pSyCoSiS's Car Details
    Model of Car:
    E39 525d SE
    Year of Manufacture:
    Transmission Type:
    Manual
    Car Body Type:
    Touring

Thanks
    Thanks for all the replies, guys.

Right - in the last couple of weeks, I have spent some money on her:

Oil and Filter Change
    Fuel Filter
    Air Filter
    Cleaned EGR Valve

(+ Front suspension overhaul, ABS Sensors cleaned, etc)

I mist say the economy definitely seems to have improved since the service. I have read in these posts that the Air Filter makes a huge difference, and the car does seem to accelerate smoother.

I will see how this goes.

However, the ABS / Traction Control Light still com eon now and then? It seems to (sometimes) restrain power when pulling away.

Any ideas what this can be? Speed Sensor?