BMW Forums : BimmerForums banner

e39 523 auto remaping

Tags
523 remaping
572 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  snowblind 
#1 ·
Hi folks. Im sure its been asked before but is it worth remapping an 2.3 e39? Also i have a diagnostics kit, DVD and cables and ive plugged it but cant quite figure it all out. Need to spend some time with it i suppose, And one last thing. Is it just the manifold and airbox mods that help bring it up to 2.5 capabilities or is there a lot more too it? It feels suffocated compared to the e34 525 i had previously. Thanks James

#2 ·
TBH I'm not sure it will be worth it. For what its likely to end up costing you could trade your E39 523 and pick up an E39 535i. Having owned E39s from a 523i up to the 535i I know which I like best. Currently I have a 530i bus and a 535i both of which cost well south of £2K each. The tourer was effectively almost zero as I sold a 525i which covered it nicely. A couple of hundred spent on each to fix some minor faults and now I have two fine vehicles.

There are noticeable steps going from model to model. I think the 523i is a really nice car; dependable and pleasant to drive but not overly exciting. The 525 is definitely punchier and you feel this is probably where the starting point in the range should have been given the weight of the car. The 530i is where things really start to happen and once you get over that its just fun all the way. Plus with the V8s you get the soundtrack which never fails to entertain. For what they can be had for nowadays (I've seen one for £1K with nothing much wrong with it other than being a 98 and not having the xenons etc) there's no reason not to. Economy is not a selling point on the bigger motors perhaps but generally that's not what you buy one for in the first place.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.